What to expect from my embolization

I have finally found a Dr. that will surgically remove my AVM, but he has to do 1 or more embos first. He told me that I would be out of the hospital the same day. But, almost everyone I have spoken to says that they were inthe hospiatl for at least 24 hours. Can anyone give me a little more insight on what I have to expect. Thank you for your help.

Peace

Dave

HI Dave,

I had two embolizations and I was in the hospital for 24 hours. After the procedure you need to stay still for at least 6 hours. They go in through the femoral artery so you must not get up and move for a bit.

Rachel

Thanks Rachel, That is the consensus of everyone that I have spoken to except my Dr. and the hospital. They keep saying it is a same day procedure. I guess I’ll find out. Thanks again
Peace
Dave

Rachel said:

HI Dave,

I had two embolizations and I was in the hospital for 24 hours. After the procedure you need to stay still for at least 6 hours. They go in through the femoral artery so you must not get up and move for a bit.

Rachel

I had an arteriogram at Mayo and an embolization at another hospital and I went home the same day for both. You do have to lie flat for 6-8 hours but then I was allowed to go home. I was awake for the embol. and also didn’t have general anesthesia for the arteriogram-so that might be the reason they are telling you 24 hours–if they are using general anesthesia. Kim

Thanks Kimberly,
I had an angiogram and was awake. I actually drove home (don’t tell the Dr.).They are going to put me under local for the embo. The Dr. said I would go home the same day. Others here have said that they had to stay 24 hours. I guess it just depends on how you are doing after the procedure. Thanks again for the info.
Peace
Dave

Kimberly Buehrer said:

I had an arteriogram at Mayo and an embolization at another hospital and I went home the same day for both. You do have to lie flat for 6-8 hours but then I was allowed to go home. I was awake for the embol. and also didn’t have general anesthesia for the arteriogram-so that might be the reason they are telling you 24 hours–if they are using general anesthesia. Kim

I was kept in the hospital for 24hrs after the embolization. Yes, I had to lie flat for 6 hours but they also wanted to keep an eye on me. I’ve had 2 angiograms and I was out of the hospital after 6 hours. I would have to trust the doctor knows what they’re doing and if in doubt I wouldn’t hesitate to ask.

All the best Dave,
Kevin

My first embo I was in the hospital for 2 days 1st day in ICU and the 2nd day in a regular room went home on the start of the 3rd day. The second embo I was in the ICU overnight and went home that morning. I had to lay flat the whole time and also had to have a cath put in seems how you can’t move for 6-8 hours after having an embo. And with being in the ICU I wasn’t allowed out of the bed. They monitor everything. Both of my embo’s went well, this is just how my doctor (and state i guess) handle the brain surgeries. Good luck to you!!!

My spinal cord AVM and aneurysm were embolized and I was in the hospital for 5 days - the first night in a regular room and then in ICU for the remainder. I had to lay flat on my back for the first 24 hours after. Ugh!

Thanks a lot for your comments. The consensus is that most people stayed for at least 24 hours. I will definitely relay these concerns with my Dr. tomorrow before he gets started. I think it’s a judgement call on their part. I’ll let you know what happens.Thanks again
Peace
Dave

THE REASON YHAT YOU WILL BE OUT FASTER IS BECAUSE THEY DON’T SANDBAG THE WOUND ON YOUR GROIN ANYMORE THEY ACTUALLY STITCH THE ARTERY AND GLUE THE WOUND BUT THE EMBOLIZATIONS I HAVE HAD DONE TOOK SEVERAL HOURS EACH AND I WAS BACK AT IT VERY SOON AFTER THEY ARE NOT BAD AT ALL JUST HANG IN THERE IT WILL ALL WORK OUT

Just wanted to update everyone on Dave’s embolization. We went on Friday for the procedure. The procedure was successful but Dave did not respond well to the anaesthesia. His blood pressure was rising and Doctors were concern of a bleed, if they did not stabilize him so they had to sedate him and put him on a breathing tube for two days. We are home now and he is stable. He wanted to make sure I updated everyone on his procedure. Thank you all for your kind words, prayers and insights…Good luck to all
Yesenia (Dave’s Fiancee)

I had another embolization last month (my third one) and was in 24 hours. One problem in my case was the doctor used a anesthesia to paralyzes me and when it came time to bring me out of it they couldn’t do it. I don’t know how long they tried, but I was in surgery and recovery for nine hours before taken to ICU. I was released the following day.

The doctor was unable to get a completer embolization and he thinks I am no longer a candidate for any further embolizations. He has now turned me over to the gamma knife people for further treatment. For some reason my hair on one side of my head has fallen out. Can’t find any answers to that problem.

Dewdo in the other Washington

Thanks Dewey. I don’t know how long I was in the operating room, but they had to putg me in a comma with a breathing tudr. Thyey said I was fight ing and they strapped me to the bed. I was there for 36 hours, before I finally left my room, and they wouldn’t let me back in. Said I was too mkuch to handle

Dewey M Reynolds said:

I had another embolization last month (my third one) and was in 24 hours. One problem in my case was the doctor used a anesthesia to paralyzes me and when it came time to bring me out of it they couldn’t do it. I don’t know how long they tried, but I was in surgery and recovery for nine hours before taken to ICU. I was released the following day.

The doctor was unable to get a completer embolization and he thinks I am no longer a candidate for any further embolizations. He has now turned me over to the gamma knife people for further treatment. For some reason my hair on one side of my head has fallen out. Can’t find any answers to that problem.

I’m new here, but I wanted to say glad you’re home now. Hope you’ll be doing well.

David said:

Just wanted to update everyone on Dave’s embolization. We went on Friday for the procedure. The procedure was successful but Dave did not respond well to the anaesthesia. His blood pressure was rising and Doctors were concern of a bleed, if they did not stabilize him so they had to sedate him and put him on a breathing tube for two days. We are home now and he is stable. He wanted to make sure I updated everyone on his procedure. Thank you all for your kind words, prayers and insights…Good luck to all
Yesenia (Dave’s Fiancee)

Hey everyone,
I made it through the embo. I was in Ice for 36 hours after a 6 hour embo. The Dr. says I have to have 3 or 4 more before he can do the craniotomy. Dewey. I too had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia. They had to sedate me and put a breathing tube in me. I don’t remember anything from the time the put me under. It really drained me. I feel like I was dragged behind a bus for 20 miles. Also, I just spoke to Mare, who is a member here, and she explained that all the radiation that you receive from the continual angiogram they do during the surgery is like when you have kemo, and that’s why you might lose some hair. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know what was going on. I really dread the next few months. I hope all is well with everyone. I’ll keep everyone up on my progress
Peace
Dave

David said:

Thanks Dewey. I don’t know how long I was in the operating room, but they had to putg me in a comma with a breathing tudr. Thyey said I was fight ing and they strapped me to the bed. I was there for 36 hours, before I finally left my room, and they wouldn’t let me back in. Said I was too mkuch to handle

Dewey M Reynolds said:

It sounds like you really had a time of it. I don’t remember anything until I was back in ICU and like you, I felt like I had been drug behind a truck. Before they would let me go home I had to get up and sit in a chair. I thought there was nothing to it until I tried. The nurse had to catch me, and hold me up. I don’t want a cranialotomy so if I need further work I will go ahead with the gamma knife.

Dewdo from the other Washington

David said:

Hey everyone,
I made it through the embo. I was in Ice for 36 hours after a 6 hour embo. The Dr. says I have to have 3 or 4 more before he can do the craniotomy. Dewey. I too had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia. They had to sedate me and put a breathing tube in me. I don’t remember anything from the time the put me under. It really drained me. I feel like I was dragged behind a bus for 20 miles. Also, I just spoke to Mare, who is a member here, and she explained that all the radiation that you receive from the continual angiogram they do during the surgery is like when you have kemo, and that’s why you might lose some hair. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know what was going on. I really dread the next few months. I hope all is well with everyone. I’ll keep everyone up on my progress
Peace
Dave

David said:

Dewey M Reynolds said: