How Many Embolizations have you had?

Hi All,

I was just wondering how many Embolizations people have had, I just had my 5th one June 2010, Maybe a few more coming.

Has anyone had Embolization as their final treatment option and the AVM obliterated

Also what advice do you have for recovery, apart from the pain killers, anything that makes you feel better?

I thought having three embolizations was a high number, but it looks like you take the title. (if there is one).
I read on another post that mint tea seems to relieve some discomfort, but haven’t tried it yet. I think I have just about had a continious headache for the past five years. The last embolization was bad. The surgeon had trouble bringing me out of the anesthesia. I was in surgery 9 hours with that one. I guess it scared the doctor. He came around after I was back in ICU and said he was turning me over to the gamma knife people.

He identified my dura arterio venous fistula as malignant, meaning I would never get rid of it. I am 78 and that is getting pretty old to be having surgery every few months. I am a disabled vet and I had a lot of head trauma during my time in the military, so the VA hospital in Seattle farms me out to a local trauma center hospital. The VA hospital doesn’t have the equipment or the surgeons to work on AVM’s.

I hope and pray they will manage to eleminate your AVM on the next embolization.

Dewdo from the other Washington

Hi Dewey thanks for the advice, i will try the mint tea, any other tips? Wow your a war Vet, and you have an AVM, how do you find everyday life, I you are old in a nice way and your evm was only discovered recently. 7 years ago, dont they do any scans or medicals in the military? How are you though, sorry you had a bad experience on your embolization waking you up. have you had gamma knife yet? are you okay though? do you have any problems related to the AVM? thanks dipen

Dewey M Reynolds said:

I thought having three embolizations was a high number, but it looks like you take the title. (if there is one).
I read on another post that mint tea seems to relieve some discomfort, but haven’t tried it yet. I think I have just about had a continious headache for the past five years. The last embolization was bad. The surgeon had trouble bringing me out of the anesthesia. I was in surgery 9 hours with that one. I guess it scared the doctor. He came around after I was back in ICU and said he was turning me over to the gamma knife people.

He identified my dura arterio venous fistula as malignant, meaning I would never get rid of it. I am 78 and that is getting pretty old to be having surgery every few months. I am a disabled vet and I had a lot of head trauma during my time in the military, so the VA hospital in Seattle farms me out to a local trauma center hospital. The VA hospital doesn’t have the equipment or the surgeons to work on AVM’s.

I hope and pray they will manage to eleminate your AVM on the next embolization.

I have had three plus the gamma knife so far.