Embolisations

Hello all,

I've just undergone my first embolisation to treat the AVM in my brain. I've been told I need four altogether and then followed by surgery all within the next few months. However, I haven't been given any informtion on it, particularly post embolisation symptoms - what can I expect to experience, if anything?

Since I had it five days ago I've had an extreme headache (headaches are part of my everyday, but this has been more like a migraine) although that part I think is starting to ease slightly today. However I've also felt generally very unwell. I had low blood pressure in hospital - could it just be that or is it the after affects of a general anaesthetic still five days on?

I'm also not sure if I can still drive after this? No one has actually said 'don't drive' but it seems sensible not to I guess. I know I can't after surgery but what about all these embolisations I'm having?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey
I am in the same situation you are in. I had my first embo (of 3 or 4) 2 and a half weeks ago. I have my next one next Thursday. Then they will decide how many more I need, then the craniotomy. I felt like I was dragged behind a buss for the first week and a half. I went through a period that I don’t remember. I am almost healed up, most of the bruises are gone, and most of the swelling is gone. I think the headaches are just something that happens. Brain swelling I think. As far as driving, I live in a state that suspends your license if you have more than 1 seizure. Then you have to be seizure free for a year to get them reinstated. I don’t know if you have seizures. I just don’t feel comfortable driving. I think it’s a combination of the med.s and fear of having something happen like a seizure or even worse. Let me know if you want more info. I think I’ll be a couple weeks ahead of you. Plus I’d like to hear what others went through.Take care and hang in there.
Peace
Dave

hi david thanks for that, strange we both are having the same exact treatment. Mine is on my right side and is around 5 cm in size, a grade 4 which is v large, how about you? I ve also been told my embo s will be 2 or 3 weeks apart i ll have 4 then surgery. I feel exactly the same though, like i ve literally been put through the ringer altho thankfully the headache is easing each day a little. Let me know how you get on. Take care. Erin

David said:

Hey
I am in the same situation you are in. I had my first embo (of 3 or 4) 2 and a half weeks ago. I have my next one next Thursday. Then they will decide how many more I need, then the craniotomy. I felt like I was dragged behind a buss for the first week and a half. I went through a period that I don’t remember. I am almost healed up, most of the bruises are gone, and most of the swelling is gone. I think the headaches are just something that happens. Brain swelling I think. As far as driving, I live in a state that suspends your license if you have more than 1 seizure. Then you have to be seizure free for a year to get them reinstated. I don’t know if you have seizures. I just don’t feel comfortable driving. I think it’s a combination of the med.s and fear of having something happen like a seizure or even worse. Let me know if you want more info. I think I’ll be a couple weeks ahead of you. Plus I’d like to hear what others went through.Take care and hang in there.
Peace
Dave

Sounds painful - well, things need to be bad sometimes before they can get better. Hope you all will be fine soon.

One Q: Did you get any medication to make you relax before the embo or did you get it in fully normal condition? I am having one next week.

A

Andreas, I didn’t get a sedative or anything like that first, I went in ‘normal’ so to speak then when I got on the table they put all the various needles in for the anaesthetic etc. Good luck next week, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Andreas Juul Sorensen said:

Sounds painful - well, things need to be bad sometimes before they can get better. Hope you all will be fine soon.

One Q: Did you get any medication to make you relax before the embo or did you get it in fully normal condition? I am having one next week.

A