Craniotomy on Monday!

Hi guys my daughter has a 5cm avm with two venous pouches of the right side of her brain she is only 18 years old. We found out in June as she had a bi focal seizure we know have her embolization and craniotomy on Monday she had her pre op yesterday there is a risk of stroke infection deficits and other things however they are confident they can help her if we leave it there is a high chance of a bleed in her brain such a hard decision however given her age and how’s she struggling daily I think this is her best chance of life although I am petrified and not coping to well any thoughts would be extremely appreciated xx hope you guys are all doing well

yes there are risks with the surgery but the surgery is controlled; the risks of a rupture is much greater. best of luck!

Your daughter and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, John.

Best of luck to you all! Be strong and positive! Where is your daughter getting her care and who is the surgeon?

Thank you for your comments we are in Cardiff South Wales uk I am trying to stay strong and positive just want an end to this nightmare xx

Nicola,

Sending you all the best of wishes. I think you’re right… it is the only thing to do, to take some action to try to create a better future. Will be keeping everything crossed for you next week.

You’re going to be in great hands. The only thing to do is turn up at the right place at the right time and they will take you through each step.

It’s great to hold onto each other and look after each other.

It might not be quite smooth but there’s every reason to be positive, even when you’re faced with difficulty. We have people who’ve come through the most difficult journeys.

Don’t forget yourself. It’s easy as a parent or carer to focus only on your daughter but remember to look after yourself through the day. Make yourself go for drinks and food, it’s important.

All the best,

Richard

Thank you Richard yes I know this is going to be a journey I try to look at it as a big bump in the road of life to keep my sanity

I really appreciate all you comments thank you please keep Sophia in your thoughts x

Will do. Be positive. May as well be positive about it.

p.s. today is my anniversary of finding avmsurvivors. I arrived here, somewhat shocked, 2 years ago today and I’m still here mostly because of community rather than my own need, I think.

3 Likes

Richard you are a constant help to many and a massive support system to people in real need of help keep doing what your doing you guys are all amazing

2 Likes

Nickdac, I know I speak for everyone on the moderator team when I say our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

azurelle
mod-support
(and TJ and Merl and Seenie)

Thank you just going to bed as we gotta be at the hospital at 6am feeling positive will update you all when we get through this sending lots of love :two_hearts:

1 Like

Wishing you all a good day and a good week. Thinking of you all.

Best of luck for you all.

I am 19 years of age, 18 when I found out I had my AVM on the right side of my brain, I found out in February 2018, and I had my radio surgery on September 3rd. Yes it has been a rough time for me as a young person, and for all my family, absolute worry, but I am so glad we got it treated and didn’t leave it, the best decision I made.

I wish your daughter good luck, and to stay strong throughout all this, and actually this website really helped me understand AVM better, and what was to come. I would recommend.

And best of luck to you and your family, I know how worrying it can be but she will be absolutely fine, she is in the best hands.

Chelsea

1 Like

Hope all is progressing well, thinking of you. John.

2 Likes

Update of my beautiful girl Sophia she had her embolization and craniotomy on Monday which lasted 19 hours on the operating table she has come out avm free they think 6cm avm in deeper than anticipated also they saw she had a previous bleed

Sophia is in pain sleeping a lot all her limbs are moving and although confused can speak a little no bowel movement and not eating much medicating the pain she wa in icu now in high dependency please keep praying for a good recovery the last few day have be imense still got a long way to go :raised_hands:t4::pray::two_hearts:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Nicola,

So pleased to hear this! It sounds like a marathon procedure and sounds like she has come through well! Well done for getting through it yourself, it can’t have been at all easy.

Keep us posted as to how she gets on because we are all sending you best wishes. It does sound like a big, big op.

Well done! Love to all of you!

Richard

So glad to hear she is off to a good start. It’s a long haul, but hang in there.
I’ll be thinking and praying for both of you
Carol

1 Like

Great to hear that all is progressing so well! The more sleep she can get the better! Really appreciate the update, and hang in there! Take Care, John.

Hi Nicola.

just reading your story now and I’m also under neurosurgery In the Heath South Wales as I live in the Rhondda Valleys. How is your daughter recovering from surgery?? please update us when you get a chance.

My prayers are with Sophia you and your family!

Take care Keira

Brave n blessed… Congrats for safe and sound health… God bless you