AVM critical, pregnant, need ideas on getting covered

So frustrating! I live in Wyoming, where there is NO hospital that has a neuro surgeon and a maternal fetal medicine doctor. I was referred to Denver. My insurance covers the ob care, bit no neurosurgeon in Corado takes my Wyoming insurance! My AVM has grown, bled 15 weeks ago, my left side keeps getting weaker, more dizziness and blacking out, but baby is strong. They were talking surgery on AVM now as opposed to after delivery. But now I’m stuck w no care, no meds that help the pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I know do many of you have been here but I have been so helpless. Tha ks for the support.

You need to do an appeal via your insurance to cover the out-of-network doctor in CO (rather than looking for a doctor in CO that takes your WY based insurance).

Get all your medical records in order, have the referral info readily avail, and call your insurance company for instructions on how to get out-of-network critical care approved. Call the member services number on the back of your medical card.

azurelle

1 Like

Thank you so much

I had to go through that appeal process with my daughter for a heart condition to get Cincinnati Children’s Hospital to cover her care. You know what clinched it? After the 3rd appeal - the one where they get 10 docs in a room and pay them $10000 to say they won’t cover $5,000 in medical care? I then wrote a letter to the top three people at the insurance agency and strongly hinted that I was going to go public with the local media if they didn’t approve it. That got them turned around real quickly. I know Denver is a lot closer, but I do have some contacts at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota if you wanted to try to pursue that route.

If i can help let me know.

1 Like