Arteriogram setup for Aug 2, Any Advice Welcome :)

Well after seeing Dr. Barrow he suggested I have an eye exam then I have to have an arteriogram. Eye exam went very well. AVM has caused no damage to my right peripheral vision since my AVM is directly on top of vision part of brain in my left occipital lobe. Guess eye doctors are especting AVM to be gone by Oct bc they setup a follow up then. They say Dr. Barrow has alot of pull in the neuro departments which makes me feel tons better :slight_smile: Is there any advice out there for what I should or should not do before during or after arteriogram? Any personal experiences is welcome. Getting very nervous the closer it gets.

An arteriogram is still the best way to see an AVM. I had 3 of them done. Just about everyone on here has had the procedure done. Hardest part will be lying still after the test.

Like Barbara H said, lying still after the arteriogram is the hardest part. My lower back was achy from lying flat.

I’ve had 2 arteriograms (late April & early June), and the incisions were in slightly different places. The first time, the incision was right where the elastic of my underwear rubbed, so I ended up going & buying boy-brief undies. They were much more comfortable. I just had to make sure I was wearing clothing loose enough to accommodate the extra fabric.

Be prepared to take it easy for a couple of days after the arteriogram. You may be tired & moving slowly.

Hi, Mrs. Dodson. Glad all went well with Dr. Barrow! I understand the concept of you being instructed (by Dr. Barrow) to have an eye exam performed before the arteriogram; however, I am not certain as to why the eye doctor wants a follow-up eye exam (customary practice or is there an actual need for the additional appt.= ?). (I do think it is a very good idea to have a ‘before and after’ exam to see if there are any potential differences, etc. for just in case/extra precaution.)

Its for after surgery not for arteriogram. I guess the eye doctors are especting it for my avm to be gone VERY soon

I agree with Barbara, the bedrest is the hardest (for me) I was scared before the angio, but I wouldn’t be scared now if I need to have one again. Only the injection hurts a little tiny bit. But I didn’t had any pain during the angio. Good luck!

HI CAN I JUMP IN I HAD THE SAME THING DONE THE FIRST VIST IS TO CHECK YOUR EYE SIGHT THE SECOND IS TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY CHANGE AFTER THE SURGERY FOR ME THERE WAS SOME BUT NOTHING I CANT LIVE WITH AND TO ALWAYS BEAWARE THAT I CAN’T SEE GOOD ON MY LEFT SIDE I STEP ON THINGS RUN INTO PEOPLE AND WHEN PEOPLE WALK UP ON ME FROM MY LEFT I CANT SEE THEM BUT 4 ME THAT’S OK IT JUST LET ME KNOW I AM STILL ALIVE AND DOIN WELL EVEN WITH THE VISION LOST ON THAT SIDE. I TAKE MY TIME WHEN I DRIVE, I SLOW DOWN WHEN I AM WALKIN AROUND A LOT OF PEOPLE AND WHEN I RUN INTO THE WALL OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT I LAUGH AND SAY THANK YOU LORD I CAN STILL WALK. BE BLESS OH YEAH BED REST I DIDNT DO THE BEDREST THING I ONLY STAYED IN THE HOSPITAL ONE DAY SLEPT AND WAS UP MOVIN AROUND THE NEXT NO PAIN WITH THE ANGIO OR AFTER BE BLESSED

Cindy Phillips said:

Hi, Mrs. Dodson. Glad all went well with Dr. Barrow! I understand the concept of you being instructed (by Dr. Barrow) to have an eye exam performed before the arteriogram; however, I am not certain as to why the eye doctor wants a follow-up eye exam (customary practice or is there an actual need for the additional appt.= ?). (I do think it is a very good idea to have a ‘before and after’ exam to see if there are any potential differences, etc. for just in case/extra precaution.)

Yes! Eat and drink while you can. Most surgeries require that you don’t eat or drink after midnight the night before. You wouldn’t really know how horrible it is until you really are not allowed to have anything. It sucks!

Yeah 6 hours! That part really is the worst…

Barbara H. said:

An arteriogram is still the best way to see an AVM. I had 3 of them done. Just about everyone on here has had the procedure done. Hardest part will be lying still after the test.

Yeah 6 hours! That part really is the worst…

Barbara H. said:

Laying still is the worst part! That and not eating for so long beforehand. Also be aware the dye the use gives you a very warm feeling. I wouldn’t say it hurts, but it wasn’t what I was expecting to feel. I have had 4 angios. Good luck to you on Tuesday!

Ask for an angio seal to patch up the femeral artery. You only have to lay flat for 2 hours and I healed much much better with it.

ive had 3 angios and i agree that the worst part is the long period of lying down after and having to use a bedpan. my avm was in my right occipital lobe and i had an eye exam and visual field test before getting anything done to have a baseline vision report to compare to after the surgery. the dye makes you feel various strange things depending on what area of the brain theyre pumping it into. i saw flashing lights, had a sensation of tasting salt in my mouth, and extreme heat sensation in my face. it was odd but the dr told me what to expect each time he put in the dye so it wasnt so bad. good luck and take it easy afterwards!

Mrs. D., You are on the home stretch, good for you! It’s normal to be a bit apprehensive, like the dentist or something, only this is less painful. For my first angio I was on the table for 5 hours. That was 25 years ago and they have made wonderful improvements that have sped things up. My last one was only about 45 minutes or so. I will be back in San Francisco for my 6th angio on the 18th of August, so I fully expect to have seen a good report from you by then. I half expect Dr Halbach to walk in with a Tricorder and do the angio just by waving it over my head. ; )
Best wishes and a speedy recovery,
FB