Update on my 15 yr old post angiogram

Thank you! I’m very worried too about the risk.

Best wishes for tomorrow . I hope it all goes well an things get put in to place quickly. I’ve always been a little bit of a two choices, now or immediately! I’ve had to develop my patience skills for sure! Take care and look forward to the date! John

Thank you! I’m thankful for this group. I really feel like it has given me some peace of mind.

Good luck tomorrow!!

Good luck you guys, too! Its going to be a good day.

Hi Lisa, wishing you the best of luck with your meeting with the neurosurgeon. All will be well. DickD said something which rings very true. your son is young, he will recover at a very rapid rate, and will be able to rebuild the wiring in his brain with much greater ease and efficiency than someone who is at a much older age.
You mention a single feed in and single drain out. If they recommend surgery, which I think they will, don’t be scared. remember he will be instantly cured of the AVM, which is what we all want.
I have had a similar AVM removed from my front left lobe via surgery only 4 weeks ago. So gratefull I am fully functioning with zero loss in any department, however, every AVM is different, and everybody responds differently.

The doctors will always suggest the best way forward, and if you are happy and have faith in your doctor, everything will be fine.
I will keep you all in my prayers, I wish you all the best, and we are all here fighting for the same cause. We are with you all the way. As a parent I understand your concerns and feelings.

God Bless.

Thank you for your well wishes. I agree, he’s young and he will recover fast. I’m nervous but so ready for this to be behind us.
The pause button has been pushed and my 15 year old son is ready to press play.
That’s my description of our life right now. He’s ready for the surgery.
I agree that this group is my saving grace.
Thanks,
Lisa

Hey, guess it is still early in the day with you. For me, it is nearly 5pm and I’m sitting at bed rest after my angiogram. Its been an OK day for me. No answers yet but the doc says he will look at the results in detail this week and discuss my case in the plenary session next Tuesday.

I hope your day is going well. Hospitals often seem to take a long time. I hope the time goes well for you today.

Lots of love Richard

I hate that you have to wait for your results but at least there are results to wait on. Hoping for great news for you.
Well, I felt great going into the appointment, but what seemed like good news after the angiogram just isn’t how his neurosurgeon saw it. Not that he said anything negative, but …,… Still a good location but he felt like there’s 3 feeders and the drainage is very enlarged. Ugh!!
His office is in the process of contacting our insurance company to get it set up for the next couple of weeks.
There’s no such thing as a good AVM, unless it’s removed.
Anyway, Dr. Nanda, my sons neuro, has just returned from, I’m guessing India, where he removed an AVM from an adult male that had been having seizures for 20 years. He did not even know he had an AVM. He had a lil paralysis on left side but now he’s seizure free and his paralysis is gone. That’s wonderful news for that man. He said usually when he travels he does surgeries. That makes me have more respect for him.
So, the waiting game for both of us now.
Prayers,
Lisa

2 Likes

3 feeders, one drain…oh my. I’m hoping your surgeon can get the insurance to okay this surgery asap. There is NO way they can say it’s not necessary (I know how insurance companies can be). No brain surgery is ‘elective’ as my insurance tried to claim and denying payment for it. I and my doc fought them and won BTW.
My AVM had 2 major arteries feeding one vein and it was ready to burst. We got mine dealt with in the nick of time.
Thing to remember is to keep his blood pressure as low as possible so that enlarged drain doesn’t get more pressure put on it until it’s dealt with. So: no heavy lifting, no mental or physical stress…common sense stuff.

It’s the waiting game now. I’m a nervous wreck. The neuro radiologist feels like it’s one feeder so they’ll get together to discuss it.
Meanwhile, im on pins and needles.
Thanks for reaching out to this nervous mom.
Lisa

Back in the ‘old days’ :-), I got my AVM fixed ever so well in 1990, and back then I think it was really quite new to fix AVMs. Thru out the decades since then, SO MUCH HAVE BEEN LEARNED, so feel very hopeful that things WILL WORK OUT for your son! PRAYS from me are HERE! God be with your son, you, and the rest of your gang. Look at the SUPPORT you have here!!!

You are so right! Just ready for the approval from insurance and the surgery to be behind us. I’m so thankful for this support. I know in the coming days this group will help keep me sane.
Thanks, Lisa

Surgery date has been set for April 23rd. I’m relieved that the exit of the AVM is near but trying to hold it together. When they called me for the date, I just felt like it was more real than ever.
For the ones that had a craniotomy, did your neurosurgeon keep your pressure low post surgery for a few days? They will also do an angiogram before closing him up. Just curious on those details. I know all surgeries are different but just curious.
Thanks, Lisa

1 Like

Blessing, Lisas!