New Member: Son Frontal Lobe

Hi all
I’m new to this group , just registered…
My son 13years.
After his first seizeures this month on 12th diagnosed as AVM at right frontal lobe 2cm. Immediately consulted India famouse hospital NIMHANS, Bangalore. There surgeon suggested surgery or Gamma knife. I choose Gamma Knife. Later consulted another surgoen as second opinion to know the complications after Gamma Knife. He said on the process of shrinking it may bleed within two years. Suggested go for surgoery . I’m nervous.
Is surgeory is better than Gamma Knife?
Gamma knife scheduled on 5th April 2018.
Please help me with your suggestions.

Thanks
Pani

Hi. I have had an AVM on my front left lobe. I went through tests and only two options were suggested, Gamma knife or surgical removal. If I opted for Gamma knife I would have to wait for three years at least to see IF it shrinks and goes away. If not I will have to have it surgically removed. Not also forgetting that it could bleed within the min 3 years.
I must point out, that I have had a bleed already, but thanks to God, it did not effect me, as the right side of my brain had taken over control of the left side.
I am 43, and after a 7 hour operation on the 22nd feb 2018, I am fit and well, but also INSTANTLY cured from the AVM. I was discharged from Hospital after 5 days.
I have a higher rate of having Epilepsy, but after the op, that rate remains at the same level. I have not suffered from any seizures, and it is unlikely that I will.
You say your son has, well there are medicines, that can prevent seizures from occurring.
Surgery is the best way to go, and with your sons age, he will recover at a very fast rate, but also because his brain is still growing and developing, he will be able to channel his brain to rewire and rework anything he may lose.

I hope this helps.

I was not a candidate for a craniotomy, even though that is what the initial surgeons wanted to do. I think that gamma knife is only part of the solution since it does take 2-3 years for the effects. You do not mention embolizations? That is where they inject a sealant, sometimes a bead other times it is “super glue” and seal off the blood flow. Mine was very large and I had 3 embolizations and then gamma knife treatments. Good luck.

Welcome to the group, and big decision! I opted for gamma knife on the recommendation of my surgeon, he felt the risk with gamma was less than the risk of surgery due to the location. Mine is left temporal but on the inside, his words were that he would have to mash through a fair bit of brain to get to it…I asked him if it was him, what we he do, he said gamma, my decision was made! I do have the risk of another bleed but weighing al the odds it was, in my opinion, the best choice. If it was to rupture again he would do surgery immediately. They’re all different for sure, and a tough choice. Take Care, John.

Hello, so sorry that your son, like mine, has an AVM. We will have an angiogram on Wednesday to see everything the experts need to know about it. Has your son had an angiogram yet? Our surgeon, because of location, feels like craniotomy is best choice, as do I. The risk of a bleed is just not something I’d want to always hang above my son’s head.
It’s so hard as a parent to know what to do. We only want our children safe.
Good luck and I’m sure you’ll make the best decision after learning all that you can.
Prayers, Lisa

Welcome to the group! I had Gamma Knife Radiation for my 4cm AVM in my Cerebellum. Given the location, Gamma Knife was my only choice. I’m nearing the time for my 2nd Gamma Knife procedure. In 3 years, my AVM shrunk 50%, and I’m happy with that. I have not had another bleed in the interim. I’m hopeful that my next Gamma Knife procedure, in April, will eradicate the last 50%. Study your choices; consult another doctor and don’t forget to pray. Wishing you well.