My 2nd DAVF embolization, are these symptoms "normal"?

My first embolization was a success, went very well and easy, and I left the hospital with little to no symptoms. A few months later I had another head trauma, and a second DAVF was found in a different place. My original fistula remained cured. I just had my embolization a few days ago, and I’m not recovering the same. I had it done at the same hospital with the same surgeon. After anesthesia, I had developed involuntary muscle spasms and tension, in my legs, jaw clenching, etc. This was relieved by them giving me ativan. I also had numbness on my scalp on the right back side of my head, which is where the fistula generally was located. I also have a smaller patch of inflamed and painful skin behind my right ear by my mastoid bone. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Can I expect these symptoms to go away? I’m also experiencing more headaches than I did the last time, but they may be tapering off. It’s hard to tell right now since I’m managing it with tylenol. The fistula was mostly embolized, but he didn’t want to risk shutting down one of the feeders because of how it might affect a nerve responsible for swallowing or such. He expects that to likely shut down on its own. I’m also experiencing some perceived weakness or numbness in my right leg, but it’s somewhat minor. I could use any feedback on this, and what others have experienced.

1 Like

Taco

The headache is not insignificant from an embo as far as I am concerned but I’ve not had the other symptoms. What I would say is you may have had a lot more glue this time and was it any nearer the cerebellum or other more important areas? I reckon that it’s very possible to have a bit of swelling going on or your brain to be somewhat assaulted by all the foreign material, so you might have some swelling that will go down but which is giving you some temporary effects. But it could be something else, so definitely to talk to the doctor about.

Stay chilled but seek advice.

Very best wishes,

Richard

@tacos4life How long between embolisms and head trauma?
how long was the procedure?
I had loads of head pain both time. I dont recall the spasms but I was still recovering from a massive unrelated strioke. My head was very sensitive. My head pain has never gone away after the procedure.

hugs Angela