So, after 9 months of being told that it was better to leave my pelvic AVM alone as it was too high risk for embolisation, my vascular surgeon called me in to day to say that they are now looking at embolisation due to the pressure the AVM is putting on my heart.
It took me a bit by surprise as I had a letter from the cardiologist two months ago, which said that nothing needed to be done regarding my enlarged heart for now and they were just going to monitor it yearly.
So what changed? When I had my angiogram the images were sent for review to Dr Ian McCafferty an IR specialised in AVM at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, which is where my cardiology team is also based. They now have agreed not to wait and my vascular surgeon, who is at an hospital local to me, pointed out that he wouldn’t do the procedure as Dr McCafferty was more experienced. It feels like he has been overruled.
As you can imagine, I am not sure what to think anymore. Anybody had embolisations on a pelvic AVM here? What were the risks? Side effects? Results? What different type of embolisations are there? During the angiogram, I was told mine is too high flow for coils.
I am lucky that my symptoms are fairly mild and I have had no rupture yet. Is it worth taking the risk? I am not going to ask if anybody knows of Dr McCafferty In UK, there’s little chance of that. All these questions I should have asked today but my mind was blown.
I have got 3 months to mull it over and get my questions in order: they are not going to do anything now due to the Covid situation so I will have another appointment in 3 months to discuss / schedule the procedure. I hope there’s somebody put here that can help me get my mind straight.