Brain avm open surgery

hi silverbeach thank u for leavin me a message I really appreciate u going into so much detail and telling me all the things that the docs maybe dont tell u. im incredibly scared so its nice to know people here r supportive.

Thanks for such a wonderful recount of why you went through after your surgery Silver. Im sure this will be be helpful for many people on this site. Glad you responded to jg200 :)

Silverbeach Iā€™m going to say it too, that was so good to read, because my open brain surgery is coming up as well. Not trying to steal attention from jg200.

jg200, All I can say is have a positive attitude... The surgeons would not be doing the surgery if it was not necessary. My AVM was 2.5 to 3 cm in the right frontal lobe.. It was discovered by accident. I had two choices; do nothing and hope nothing happened or have it removed.. The removal was done in January of this year via two surgeries. The first was an embo to shut off the blood flow, and the second was the craniotomy.. 4.5 hours for the first one, and 6 for the second.

Attitude is everything. I amazed all my co-workers as I was back to work in less than 3 weeks... I spent 24 hours in ICU after the crani, and 2 days on the floor, and was home by the weekend...

I never let the negative into my thoughts, as there really was no 'option'. I am not done living and my wife and my 9 (now 10) year old son are not done with me either.

Recovery (after the staples come out) is more about how your body copes with the fact that you had brain surgery.. For me (and many others) it was mainly being tired, and tiring very easily...

My advice, Don't stress about it ( I know it's a hard thing), be positive, enjoy the Holidays, and know that you are in good hands...

I have replied before, I had one bad experience, I had a grand mal seizure during the surgery, it removed my halo. What can you expect while you are getting probed while staying awake? Having the Doctor wake me up and show me the removal of the avm was good news, but I really did not care because I was so out of it. I woke up in a hospital room and got up and was I in for a surprise, my right leg was numb and that went away after a couple of months. I had my family to support me, the doctor called us in twice to make sure I wanted this done. It is the only thing to do. Enjoy the holidays and be strong. This is a tough thing to go through, I always said that people have had worse

Thank you Susan. I hope your holidays are going wonderfully.

Good Luck, jg200! I'm sure everything will be fine! :)

hi i had a craniotomy to remove my avm from my cerebellum on the 12th november this year it was a 10 hour op but in this time while i was still knocked out that did an angiograph to make sure they had got it all. i was in neuro icu for two days after op then on a neuro ward for 5 days although its a slow process my recovery has shocked me as has gone pretty well i still get headaches and my scar is still quite sore people find it hard to believe looking @ me ive had major brain surgery i feel very blessed because if id had a bleed it would of been a different story i wish you all the luck an i certainly know how you feel because before my operation i was very scared and nearly backed out of having it done @ last minute am glad i ignored my fears and went through with it take care

I went in on tues in March. Spent postop nite in ice with post op nausea and vomiting. Then I was transferred to regular neuro floor. I was released on sunday. I lost appetite and I was seeing floaters. Now I have a left visual field cut, some memory problems and coordination. Still have parasthesia feelings. Mine was 2.5x2 on right temporal love :heart:. Good luck with your surgery!

Hi JG200, I had mine removed via surgery on July 7th, 10 op but I'm doing great now, I wish you luck and hope everything goes well !. I was in hospital for 1 week as my recovery was very good. I would say that the key to good recovery is rest, Get as much sleep and rest as you can even during the day, Sleep when you can as this helped me and still does. I need way more sleep now than I ever have. Take care and good luck please visit back when you feel up to it and let us know how you got on. Take care.

Hi every one, joy is currently in surgery, she will hopefully only have about 4 hours left to go but as we know it may be longer.
She has been amazed by the number of replys she has got so far and we both appreciate it.
Ill update this page with more info when I get it
Jonny

Thanks Jonny, Good luck and hope she has a fast and full recovery :) , Take care.

Best wishes to you for your surgery :-)

Happy new year from Denmark..

Hi Jonny and thanks for the update. Yay for Joy and be good to you too!

Going on for 7 hours now... I am no good at waiting!!

Good luck, here is hoping that everything goes well in the operating room and the waiting room. I know your stress level must be high but I am sure she is in capable hands. Hope everything goes well after the operation and good luck in the future.

I remember this feeling when my son was in surgery, Jonny, We are all hoping the best for Joy. It will be okay. It canā€™t last forever.

Hang in there, and know that we're all pulling for you even though we can't be there physically with you!

I pray she has a great surgery and recovery!!! I will keep in touch with her like we planned, my surgery comes up January 14th so we will be recovering together and are around the same age. I hope nothing but the best for her and you Jonny :slight_smile:

OK joys has got through her operation and she is being woken up slowly nowā€¦ We are cautiously taking it as a success, all the blood vessels seem to be closed off as planned, and there were no major incidents or complications during the procedureā€¦
Will add more details as I get them