Abandoned by other systems

Hey Friends!! This question is kinda awkward but my friend suggested I put it out there. My AVM was found (cerebellum) and removed this past December via craniotomy. I was 42. Since the December hospital stay (2 weeks) my digestive system is out if whack (irregularity) and my menstral cycle has taken a long vacation, despite taking progesterone prescribed by Gyn. I kinda feel like it pushed me to peri-pause. Anybody else have a similar experience? Ideas?

Stomach issueshave been a problem for me. I lost alot of weight because I’m nauseaus and just sometime seems like I can’t keep food down.

It took me a long time to get my menstrual cycle back. It wast at least 8 months if I remember correctly. Kind of odd that the pregesterone didn't kick start it. Talk with your neurologist and gyn again to see what they suggest. Following my bleed/crani my cycle was actually the last thing on my mind. I kind of forgot about it until is showed up again. Good luck.

My wife had a similar experience after a hospitalization, due to inactivity and all the pain meds she was on. She can't take any hormonal replacement therapy due to high incidents of breast cancer in her family. I put her on a product called Amberen which is an over-the-counter homeopathic approach to normalizing a woman's pre-menopausal symptoms. It worked for her.

For the irregularity, Miralax, full dose twice a day, will get things going. Another thing that has helped us in the bowel dept is a dietary supplement called "Mag 07" by Aerobic Life. You can get this at any health food store. If you're suffering from IBS-C, Amatiza works good but that requires a prescription.

Hopefully, some of these suggestions will help you.

Good Luck and get better!

Thanks so much Sand! No IBS but I will look into those products. I’ve figured that I need oats and lots of water and that will sometimes work…just unusual and didn’t happen until surgery.

Unbelievable, please have any supplements or over-the-counter remedies approved by your doctor before trying, as they can pose risks to AVM patients, especially if you are on other medications.

Thanks Trish! I am gonna call doc again today. 8 months...WOW! I guess I'm just confused because I don't know if its peri-pause or I just need to reset. Thanks for your response!

I will definitely do that. Thanks!

Tanner, I am so sorry to hear that... I don't have that issue now but I did with the bleed and in the hospital. I ate a lot of Italian ice and broth :)

I should also mention that I was 38 at the time, 45 now and my GYN doesn't believe I'm terribly close to menopause yet, based on the regularity of my cycle.