My son's story

Kerry,

Sorry if I sent this message already, because it got lost before I sent it, I think, so here it is again.

When I was 29 years old, I elected to have my VERY LARGE AVM fixed by surgery in 1990, by Dr. Robert Spetzler, at the Barrowlogical Neuro Institute in Phoenix, Arizona. He warned me that strokes were a risk, but I still took the plunge. I only had a 50/50% chance of living, I was in a drug induce coma, and altogether, I suffered 2 strokes during 7 brain surgeries! In the beginning, I was paralyzed, blinded, could not walk, talk and more. Do NOT feel sad for me though, because thru my recovery, even thought in the beginning I was just a huge bawler, eventually, I realized that the Strength From Within and POSITIVE thinking, can overcome so, so much. Now, physically I am all back together with no limitations and this is a FAB 2nd Life!

Not only all that, but the medical technology NOW, compared to 1990, is so much more advance, and Dr. Spetzler told me that after he did my brain surgeries, he LEARNED SO MUCH about AVM, and I feel grateful that I helped him to be even better now! I think he is one of the best in AVM repairs.

Good luck to you and Eric, and may God be with both of you two!!!

Lisa A. Stuckel

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story! I wish you all the success in the world! Unfortunetly, Erik lost his battle on Dec 10, 2013. We just laid him to rest yesterday. We are pretty sure it was another hemmorhage. God Bless you and continued good luck to you!

Kerry.

Kerry,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss... Unfortunately, I DO understand what you are going through as I also lost my daughter (shortly after my bleed from my AVM)... I know how devastating it is to lose a child and I hope and pray that you are able to find the support that you need. After my daughter Erin passed away, my husband and I joined Compassionate Friends and I also joined a few online support groups... if you would like me to share some of these groups with you, please feel free to email me privately at ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

My heartfelt condolences,
Michele

Oh, Kerrylks! I am so sorry! I just started reading your son's story today and when I got to your Wednesday post it took my breath away. I don't think there are words to express how sorry I am for you. I pray that God is giving you His peace that surpasses all understanding and surrounding you with love right now. Thank you for being a faithful mom to Erik all these years and enduring his trial with him.

Kerry, shoot, I am so sorry for your loss of Erik! Son-of-a-
Gun!!

You probably know this already, but at least he beat you to a Better Place, and he is not suffering anymore with his AVM. I bet now he is keeping a watchful eye on you to keep you safe in this crazy life we live in. Probably because when I went thru my medical junk, for a while, I only had a 50/50% chance of living. For that reason, I think, I realize there IS so much more after this life and that is why I am mention
ning this to you. I hope you do not mind.

I hope you will still talk to Eric, once in a while, because I know he can hear you!!!

Lisa

Good morning--

This just brings tears to my eyes that your son and your entire family deals with this traumatic way of life every single day!! This life we live takes its toll on the one dealing with the pain and the caregivers or family that see the pain all of the time.

We wish you the best in whatever happens and the decisions you make in your lives to treat the issues--we pray for you and hope that it does get better! I know that it is hard and so heartbreaking at times, but God will help you through this--He makes a way to bear it--and there will be ultimate and joyful healing at some time in the future--we have to believe that!

Thanks so much for sharing your emotions and your life with us. Please be strong and know that we are thinking of you and praying for you--

Dave and Laura La Ravia

I am so very sorry to hear that Erik died--I read this first post and did not know at that time! We are praying for you and your family and know this is so hard. Please write when you can and know that all of us are thinking about you. Please take care--

I read this before in my numb state but now I have read it again and been able to think what I'm reading.
I don't miss Mark any less and I still feel this is not possibly real. Its strange that I now read it and the tears fell because its like it was written for me. Its comforting to know others can put your thoughts on paper, it reassures us we are not alone, others hurt as we do. Thank you Judi for putting on paper what I find hard to say.