Years after Gamma Knife

Anyone here years after GK experience jabbing in the brain? Also, major depression and or anxiety ? As a teen I had anxiety maybe it’s part of being a teenager…maybe not. I suffer migraines as a result of the AVM and take 500mg of Topamax and every three months 40 nerve injections. For depression and anxiety 450mg Lamictal, 80mg Cymbalta, 10mg × 2 Ritalin some of those meds also help with migraines. Anyone else?

1 Like

I’m only 15 months since Gamma Knife, so not that long for sure. I get the odd jabbing pain, I believe they refer to them as ice picks, but only about once or twice a week and only once or twice at a time. It does make me take notice for sure.

@Triumph,

I have not had GK however I have tried being on topomax, a lower dose than you but it really didn’t agree with me. I found that it did have an effect on my emotions, that I become less emotionally stable and more irritable and less present. I did have personal issues at the time and fast deteriorating health but I still believe the topomax had an impact along with other nasty side effects for me. Could this potentially be the case for you? Or I am wondering the position of your AVM if its an area that effects emotions?

Kind regards and best wishes,

Corrine

Hi, I am coming on 6 years since my GK. I do also have the ice pick headaches, usually in one eye at a time. I also have debilitating headaches, I’ve been told there are 5-6 different types and they vary day by day. I have tried quite a few different medications over the years but nothing has ever really worked. I now take hydrocodone and that basically helps the most along with an ice pack. I do have really bad anxiety as well and for me Xanax and some light breathing exercises help me the most. I only did the GK once, I will never go through that again and I do still have my AVM. However, I firmly believe that had I not done the GK, I would not have these awful headaches. Best wishes to you and I hope that you are able to find relief!

Hi, I had AVM bleed in 2006 and then Gamma Knife in 2007. I have headaches almost every day. Sometimes they get worse special if the weather changes or if I am under stress. I feel headache mostly in the area where my AVM is. I also had only one GK treatment and still have AVM.
I do not know if my headaches are because of bleed or because of GK. Maybe it is caused by both. Hope we will all find a way to deal with this.
Sorry about my writing, English is not my native language.
Best wishes.:slight_smile:

I have had no side effects from Topamax in fact it has been increased to 500mg for migraines. All other meds are used for depression they are working well.

Triumph sorry about those headaches and anxiety. My son had gamma knife 20 yrs ago no headaches still has AVM. He has many physical deficits and are considering another treatment. He is in no pain so the talk of your headaches make me want to reconsider retreatment. My best wishes also and pray for relief.