Quantcast

AVM Survivors Network

Wrongful termination?

I have been a bartender at a small winebar for 18mos. Last Monday I suffered from my first seizure while working. This morning I received a phone call from the owner telling me that they were going in a different direction and that I would not be needed anymore. Before today I had never been given any inclination that I was providing unsatisfactory service. I can’t help but feel that they are truly firing me because of my seizure. That has to be illegal. Right?!

You can try and contact the EEOC. They could tell you more than us. Can you file for unemployment in the meantime?

Hi...I am a former HR professional who worked for large international companies during my career. Having said that..we would have never fired an employee that just had a seizure..trying to say it was that we were going in a different direction would not allow it because of the ADA (Americans with Disability Act).. What I will say is that small companies get away with doing things like this all the time.

I looked online and found a message from an attorney and am sending it you to read:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-was-fired-from-my-job-after-having-a-seizure--it-658312.html

I'm so sorry about what happened to you.