Wondering if anybody has been in recovery for 5 years or over and how you are doing sympton & life wise?

Five and a half years in recovery. Symptoms, many but one learns to recognize and adapt. I show steady improvement. Now walking indoors without a cane. Lately I have been walking without my AFO. I am now wearing normal shoes. That feels so good. Walking outdoors in public is my greatest challenge. I still use my walker to wallk outdoors. To much stimulation. Perhaps my brain has to relax more.

Almost 25 years have gone by…YIKES. I really believe that things get better with time!

Hi Danielle,

You picked a wonderful topic.

I'm in my 6th year. I have more problems now than I did before I had the GK. The first two years after getting GK, I was doing fine with no problems at all. Then, 2 1/2 years later (after the GK) I started having all kinds of problems: cervical dystonia, multiple seizures, tremors, vertigo, short term memory loss, anxiety. I think that's all of them(?) I became disabled 3 years ago because of this. Hind sight tells me I should not have done the Gk but, at the time it seemed like the right decision.

What I do on a daily basis always depends on how I'm feeling that day and/or through out the day. I have ideas of things I want to do but, it depends on how my day is going. I take full advantage of my good days.... :)

Ben

Barbara - 25 years? Wow!...You're a relic! LOL I think I can say that since you and I are about the same age. (( I couldn't help myself - ha ha ))

Ben

Chari's AVM was pronounced "GONE" in 1998. She still takes anti-S meds, and has continuing right side weakness. But the threat from the AVM is "GONE". The rest is noise.

So her's showed up about 40, was gone by age 50, and she just turned 60 this year.

Symptom wise: Mostly no problems.
Life wise: EXCELLENT!

Best wishes,
Ron, KS

Hi Danielle......mine is 12 yrs journey from April 2001 till date...happened exactly during the age of 15 to 27 yrs when a kid becomes boy becomes an adolescent n then finally adult.......the journey of leading a life like an orphan inspite of having everyone in my life right from parents, siblings, society......has been a very in-explainable scar in my life....one goes thru very strong personality changes during such phases... as i had previously repeated in many of my posts ...all we get from common man is a lot of philosophical suggestions and advices which do not address our emotional trauma from a constructive perspective....

With regards to your 2 questions:
1. How are you doing with the symptom - I Cry atleast once in 48 hrs....get into depression n loneliness inspite of having crowds of people around me... crying helps to release emotional accumulations... crying must happen spontaneously... u can't schedule it though :)
2. How are you doing life-wise - All your plans right from education, career, job , girl friends, marriage etc everything takes a complete reverse-gear ! but the journey of recovery n meeting loads of other suffering people will change our COMPLAINING ATTITUDE that if my one hand is cut....i should be thankful to God ...because he sometimes makes me meet people whose both hands are cut !! :)

I know its philosophical....and will always continue to be... :)

Wish you all the strength & courage in your journey of struggles.

Take Care
Santhosh
Bangalore, India.

many years now - 18 years since my first stroke (ive had 3).

But i figured to myself, that i hope to be able to get pass my problems, after 5 years or so. I aimed to be back to work, at some type. My speech was (and still is!) my main problem as i lost the power totally.

But after 5 years, i had just started my final year or an HNC graphic course, and the next year, i got a full time job as a designer. Stressful and still is bloody hard for me, but managed to do the job.

I'm coming up on my 5 year post bleed mark (does that count?) I still have periods of vertigo, left visual field cut, short term memory loss, anxiety. In terms of "life wise" I would say that I'm the happiest I've ever been. I have a wonderul husband and two beautiful children whom I adore. It gets better every day!

"The rest is noise." - That is such a great perspective. Thanks, Ron, and congratulations to Chari!