Why do we get migrain headaches so often?

There are many of us who suffer with migrain headaches, myself included. That can last for days, even weeks. But, can anyone explain to me why we get them? My doc. just tells me it's a side effect of the avm. like I didn't already know that. Ha Ha Than You

1 Like

Ben,

These are my best guesses. The AVM is taking up space it shouldn't and compressing 'normal' tissue, which with brain tissue, it tends to swell in defense. Not too smart for brain tissue as it has a finite amout of space to live in. Of course blood is an irritant to brain tissue, so it again swells when irritated. My AVM happens to be within my spinal cord at the base of my brain down to C2. My spinal cord is swollen and protuding. That area of the spinal cord houses all those important nerves and such that regulates breathing, respiation, body temp. and such. So when that area is swollen and the flow of the cerebral spinal fluid hindered, well there's yet another way for headaches to get a free ticket to ride.

From what I understand, brain tissue has no pain sensors so how we feel pain in our brains is beyond me. Must be it borrows pain sensors from neighboring structures just so it doesn't feel alone when it's irritated and or compressed.

Don't worry, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night so you can be rest assured everything above is probably exactly how Mayo Clinic would present it.

Keep your chin up, or down, which ever way helps,

Kim

1 Like

I tried to edit and correct my 9 or so typos about 4 times, but it wouldn't let me. Oh well, this way you'll know I'm drain bamaged. :)~

Kim

Hey Ben,

I have felt the same way for over 5 years. My Migraines have not gotten any easier. And i noticed that my migraines get worst when i am excited, arguing, crying too much, emotionally stresses, and when the weather gets either to hot or to cold. i think we get them so often because the blood pressure rises to the AVM and is compressed there and cant escape that area of the brain and forces pain to our brain.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses. They both make good sense. if I could only find a way to better control them. Hmm.

try meditation and practice certain arts of breathing. Anything that controls the blood rush to you brain.

1 Like
 Crystal,  I think you just slapped me on the back of my head (as a reminder).  LOL     I use to meditate daily and I have gotten away from that.  Thank you very much!!!!   I'm a reiki practitioner and I reiki myself daily but,  I haven't done any other types of meditation in quite some time now.    Boy,... am I glad you brought this up!  :)

No problem BEn!! Let us all enjoy the nature and beauty of life =)

I have to agree with crystal’s response. My docs told me as well that temperatures (both extreme hots and colds) can affect AVM’s. Stress plays a very important role as well (blood pressure), and the foods we eat. I hope this helps a bit

1 Like

This is totally how I would explain how/when my headaches are irritated as well…

Crystal Gonzalez said:

Hey Ben,

I have felt the same way for over 5 years. My Migraines have not gotten any easier. And i noticed that my migraines get worst when i am excited, arguing, crying too much, emotionally stresses, and when the weather gets either to hot or to cold. i think we get them so often because the blood pressure rises to the AVM and is compressed there and cant escape that area of the brain and forces pain to our brain.

Hi everyone. I don't have migraines but I do have a 'hot poker" stuck in my left temporal lobe. It ranges from its usual "red hot" to "white hot" depending on what is going on, i.e. changes in barometer, multiple conversations going on around me, certain visuals (that flashing i-pod commercial a couple of years ago would send it to "white" and a seizure if I wasn't fast enough), stress is high on the list too plus some other things. It is also a precursor (sp?) to a seizure at times (and definately after) and is accompanied by my dog's licking and licking and licking of my left eye and temple. Sometimes it takes a full body hug of the 100 lb bear to get him to stop. It is almost as if he feels that I am safe if I am holding on to him like that. Anyway, it is a long story made very short as I have to go. Thanks for the "ears".

Laine

Hey Ben,
Random things set my migraines off. Normally it will be walking outside when the sun is really bright, looking at an electronic device to long, strong smells, or just having my daily routine messed with. I’m on the
lucky side because they never tend to last
to long, but I always get very nauseous when I have them. The only that I have come up with to make them go away are sitting in a dark quiet room, with a cold wet face cloth over my eyes. I almost always end up throwing up, but once that happens the pressure in my head is relieved.

if you don’t know is that you are having seizures that call you to have the headaches, but it is not the seizures that cause you to fall out. ask your doctor if you can you the med. that call topamax. it work but you got to work the use for your body.(i have to you 400 mg a day and depressing med. and high blood presser med. and it work for me it will make you sleep but you can live.) so ask you doctor about that med.

i wonder why we still get them even after the AVM has been obliterated!

My then-13 year old daughter's AVM bled last August. She pretty much has had a headache since then, some worse than others. The pediatric neurologist thought she was having rebound headaches and took away all her acute pain meds (tylenol, ibuprofen, etc) and put her on "preventative" headache meds about 5 weeks ago. we have been trying different meds and different dosages but she is still having them. It is very frustrating so kind of sad to hear that these headaches could be an ongoing thing. She has only been to school 1 day in the last 4 weeks and it is hard for us to understand what she is going thru so we try not to push her, but that is hard too. I know i can barely take a day with a headache without popping a tylenol to help it and knowing she can't do that makes me feel awful. We are kind of letting her tell us if feels like she can make it to school or not and it is usually a "not". She is currently on the topamax twice a day as well, so Donnell, we are really hoping that helps her, too! Does it take a long time to work? Does the meditation really help? Not sure how to teach a 14 year old how to do that.

Hi Ben,

I get terrible migraines...ughhhh. My AVM is in my brainstem (in the Pons) and is pressing on the trigeminal nerve...I think that is why mine are so terrible (I also have trigeminal neuralgia). I think since AVMs affect blood flow and migraines involve the blood vessels and nerves, something is disrupted. I did a million things to try and eliminate migraines (eliminating certain foods, stress, etc, etc), really the only thing that helps is medication.

I am curious about this also though. I am tired of having so much pain :(

Patti

2 Likes

Hi Patti, I know what you mean. I can't seem to go just one day without having a headache. I also have cervical dystonia, which is from my avm. I think thats a part of the reason for my headaches too. I've tried shaitsu, accupreasure, and spinal decompression therapy for it. And, all of those only work for a very short time. Oh... I use to go to a masseuse. Even though it felt good, the pain would always come back a few hours later. So... I rely on meds (which I really hate to do) the same as you do.

Deb, Meditation does help. It doesn't cure it but, it does lower the pain and makes it more bearable. The easiest way is to focus on just one thing. Perhaps she can focus on something she really likes. Such as the beach or a park. I myself, I prefer the mountains and being in the woods. Another way is to focus on a candle flame. The flame itself is mesmerizing. Seeing how your daughter is 14. You may want to talk to her about getting her an aquarium (it's just a thought). I had a friend who meditated watching his fish.

Feel free to ask me about it, if you would like to. I've been meditating now, for about 30 years (I think). Boy! I'm getting old. LOL

Hey Ben,

I am sorry you are in pain too. I really want to do accupuncture, and my neurologist did say they see success with it, but you have to keep with it weekly...and my insurance doesnt cover it at all, so it isnt an option right now (maybe if I win the lottery :) ).

I am glad meditation helps you. I think I am going to give that a try as well. Have a great day Ben!

Patti

1 Like

Ben,

I get them as well, but not nearly as bad as when I first got out of the hospital. (thankfully) I have asked my doctors numerously why I get them and they have actually told me I need to see my PCP, that they can't help me with that. I was really upset by that, but they finally got better. At least you doctor tells you they are a side effect from the AVM! ha I hope they get better. :-) Sorry I'm not much help.

Thanks Ben! We will definitely try this!!