Who is the most skilled surgeon in treating head and neck avms?

would really appreciate your views and experiences

Hope you get a good answer, but my guess it’s a lot like asking which car is better. All of us that have had good results from our DR will think he/she is best.

When we started looking for surgeons, we tried to find who were the DRs writing the latest papers on the subject of what we needed. We contacted or had our local DRs try to help us sort through.

In the end, we made appointments with two highly rated DRs. One had done 300 surgeries like we needed and recommended against it. The other had done 3,000 and said he could do it. Was an easy choice for us.

Best wishes,
ron

Really though question and not sure any of us really have the answer…they physician’s might know, but I sure don’t. All I really know is that my surgeon could not save me, he contact Dr. Tew with Mayfield Clinic and asked him if maybe he could…and poof…here I am. Sorry I can not help you with your question.

Ron, KS said:

Hope you get a good answer, but my guess it’s a lot like asking which car is better. All of us that have had good results from our DR will think he/she is best.

When we started looking for surgeons, we tried to find who were the DRs writing the latest papers on the subject of what we needed. We contacted or had our local DRs try to help us sort through.

In the end, we made appointments with two highly rated DRs. One had done 300 surgeries like we needed and recommended against it. The other had done 3,000 and said he could do it. Was an easy choice for us.

Best wishes,
ron

Ron, KS said:

Best wishes,
ron

Hi Ron

I really appreciate your reply. The question was intended to provoke debate. My avm is mainly cheek so is regarded on this site as facial rathar than as head and neck. I suspect that there are a few surgeons that can do the best that can be done and I just want to find or have found one of them. Your reply has helped. thanks again

Soteris

Julie said:

Really though question and not sure any of us really have the answer…they physician’s might know, but I sure don’t. All I really know is that my surgeon could not save me, he contact Dr. Tew with Mayfield Clinic and asked him if maybe he could…and poof…here I am. Sorry I can not help you with your question.

Hi Julie

Thanks for kindly replying . As in my reply to Ron, the question was intended to provoke debate. My avm is mainly cheek so is regarded on this site as facial rathar than as head and neck. I suspect that there are a few surgeons that can do the best that can be done and I just want to find or have already one of them. I suspect that yours involves neurosurgeons while my avm requires ENT and/or plastic and reconstructive surgeons - rest assured you have helped - much appreciated. Wishing you the very very best. Soteris

Julie said:

I cannot speak from personal experience, but According to The US World and News Report (June 2009) Mayo clinic (Minn) and Johns Hopkins (MD) are ranked as the top 2 for Neurology/Neurosurgery: http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/neurology-and-neurosurgery-hospital-rankings/
I am receiving care pre-surgery from Duke and they are also very reputable.

Hi Caroline

Thanks for replying

I may have confused you a little here because my avm is mainly cheek and is therfore regarded as ‘facial’ on this great site and not ‘head and neck’ as in my question so I am more interested in facial avm surgeons although neuroradiologists and interventional radiologists are crucial in determining vascularity and blood flow dynamics. Thanks also for the link - you’ve been a great help!

Soteris
Caroline Frances said:

I cannot speak from personal experience, but According to The US World and News Report (June 2009) Mayo clinic (Minn) and Johns Hopkins (MD) are ranked as the top 2 for Neurology/Neurosurgery: http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/neurology-and-neuros…

I have read the same thing. I guess we were on the same page (so to say).

Caroline Frances said:

I cannot speak from personal experience, but According to The US World and News Report (June 2009) Mayo clinic (Minn) and Johns Hopkins (MD) are ranked as the top 2 for Neurology/Neurosurgery: http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/neurology-and-neuros…

My son’s AVM is In his airway in his nose, sinus cavity, and throat. Our Dr. Lisa Buckmiller of Arkansas Children’s Hospital, specializes in AVM 's of the airway, face, and neck.

Hi Taylor

Thank you for your kind reply

Yes I am in touich with Dr Buckmiller’s colleague there, Dr James Suen. they are both very experienced in avms, pioneered treatments and have a caring approach. If you ever prefer sometimes to email me on treatements and surgeons please feel free

Wishing your son the very very very best

Soteris

Taylor Becker said:

My son’s AVM is In his airway in his nose, sinus cavity, and throat. Our Dr. Lisa Buckmiller of Arkansas Children’s Hospital, specializes in AVM 's of the airway, face, and neck.

This is something we are working on. Creating a list of recommended/top AVM surgeons for our members.

Hey Ben

I trust you are well

Below is a list of some skilled, knowledgeable and experienced facial avm ‘embolisers’ and surgeons. Some as you can see are neuroradiologists who of course therefore tackle head and neck avms. Shalon and Keith and then Shalon and myself have discussed these last years the pro/cons of various techniques and also the embolisation ‘and/or’ surgery debate. Of course as a lay person I am not in a position to say who a patient/parent should see as choice of the surgeon and/or radiologist will usually be determined by financial/insurance constraints and of course who they feel comfortable with

Dr Wayne Yakes (Interventional Radiologist) in Colorado … Dr James Suen (surgeon) at University of Arkansas Medical Services… Dr John Mulliken (surgeon) and Dr Darren Orbach (Neuro/Interventional Radiologist) both at Boston Children’s Hospital. (they see adults)… Dr Berenstein (Neuro/Interventional Radiologist) and Dr Milton Waner (surgeon)in NYC, who I both saw…Dr Patricia Burrows in Texas and Dr Orhan Konez in Ohio who are both Interventional Radiologists…and there are a few more experts in the USA

http://birthmark.org/node/55
http://www.novanews.org/resources/physicians/physicians-and-centers

Take care

Soteris
London UK

Ben - did this list ever get published?

Ben Munoz said:

This is something we are working on. Creating a list of recommended/top AVM surgeons for our members.