Which have been your symptoms with an avm bleed?

Hi, I had one bleeding in July 2021, it was severe headache, stiff neck and vomiting. I already had radiosurgery on December 2021. But curious if always will need to be the same symptoms to get me to the hospital if happens again.

Hi and welcome! I had a bleed back in 2016 and my primary sign was the headache, worst of my life. My short term memory was effected, and I had the stiff neck and back. The other factor was my pupils, one would not dilate constrict which created sensitivity to light. I think the headache is the most common for us brain AVMers. After the first experience I was convinced I would know if it happened again! I had Gamma Knife November of 2016.

Take Care,

John

My bleed occurred on July 13th 2020 - It felt like I took a straight bullet to the head(in the area where the bleed occurred) - I described it to my wife as hot machete right across the top left region of my head

Then after that, it was in & out - we couldn’t believe it really, so I took painkillers that I had my dentist prescribe. We thought since it was on the same side as my tooth infection, it was somehow related - so, I got ahold of my dentist to shoot me an rX since we were out of town.

Your neuro team went with radiation surgery for a bleed? I don’t think I have heard of this yet being used for someone who had a bleed.

Hi, wow that sounds worst than mine. Yeah, my avm is too deep… so, radiosurgery is the only option to do something.

1 Like

Seems headache will be the common factor then, I hope you are doing better. Did your gamma knife worked?

Gotcha!

Don’t know about worse or better - it’s comparing bad to awful - it’s all bad when it comes to these or health issues

Yes it did. I had a couple follow up MRIs at one year and two years, followed by an angio at about 26 months. The angio showed complete obliteration. Great result but had to adjust to the waiting, ultimately was able to take the whatever will be, will be mindset and carried on with trying to be normal! John

I wouldn’t call it stiff neck in my case. I experience what I described “feeling like I received a baseball bat blow to the bottom back of my head just where your head meets your neck. Blackout, vomiting, worst headache imaginable, and seizure. So to answer your question yes overall it appears to be the same symptoms just different definitions from each of us lol It’s funny you know, I thought the same exact thing that I would know if it happened again. When my hemorrhagic stroke happened I completely forgot because the headache was different like 2nd time I actually felt the painescalating and I naturally went into panic mode knowing the ticking time bomb in my head. I didn’t seize 2nd time and my vision went blurry just as my AVM blew up. I don’t think I threw up and my husband didn’t mentionme throwing up. I was in the hospital second time it happened. I still think if it ever happened again I will know though of if it grows back that I will know…. I am embolized and had a craniotomy to remove it’s dead corpse lol

Hello there…
A sudden, severe headache was my only symptom. It was much different from the frequent migraines I had had since childhood, and it was located at the site of bleed. My AVM rupture was cerebellar. I learned later that I did not have seizures because of its location. I was alert enough to pick up my phone and call “911”.
Thank goodness!

1 Like