What happens when you get very upset?

Since 1992 when I get very upset and I mean very upset not just angry like betrayal upset my body feels like 7up lol best way to describe it and I feel light headed and pass out but am conscious meaning my body is paralyzed I can’t move but I can hear everything going on. I try to avoid this type of upset but back when I went to a Neuro doc he did I think a EKG on the brain I think I am saying that wrong it has been so long ago whatever he did was he checked the brain activity waves he said I had to much extra curricular activity on the right side of my brain and if he was anyone other than the Senior Neourologist he would say I was epileptic and put me on medication but he wasn’t going to do that. He asked me if I was having troubles (emotional) at home I was like ya who doesn’t. He give me Tegretol (which is used for epileptic people & depression) I hated how it made me feel like I was not on this planet and my hair felt like it was standing on top of my head like when you rub a balloon on head and your hair stands straight up. I ended up stopping the pills and had several more episodes but then got away from things that were upsetting me where I ended up in that state. Last episode was this Jan when my oldest was suicidal and I was standing out side his place while he was screaming from the other side how he was going to kill himself. (he was in a serious auto accident 1/15/07 that left him in pain and disabled)

I was so upset with him this happened to me again prior to that it was 1998 when husband and I got in our first and huge argument we try not to go there like that anymore.

Wow, you are dealing with a lot. No wonder your brain is working overtime (grin).

The EKG of the brain is an EEG, but we know what you mean. I recall the name, but can’t even try to spell it, sorry.

When my son was about 14 and suffering from Epilepsy (E for short), we went to an E specialty hospital in St Paul, MN. Part of the testing was they had him in the E ward, hooked to an EEG for a week trying to record the brain activity and where it was centered when he had a seizure.

It was interesting and scary to watch all of this. In addition to EEG, he was video monitored and had audio with the tech who monitored the dozen or so kids in the ped ward. Allen was an active kid, so he was bored silly being tethered and mostly restricted to his room and the small commons area they could go to.

In his room also was a computer monitor, with a video insert of what he was doing at the time of the EEG recording, showing his brain activity. It was like watching the seismic tapes they do during an earthquake!

Allen learned pretty quickly that he could raise an arm and get one pattern, raise the other or both and see another pattern, cough or talk or roll over and still different patterns. The one he had the most fun with was GRITTING HIS TEETH. The patterns exploded all over the place. It looked similar to when he was having a seizure, so very quickly the tech would call over the speaker “Allen, are you ok, talk with me.” And when he did, the tech would know he was not having a seizure and would say “Allen, STOP GRITTING YOUR TEETH.” (The other game he played with the techs was he could get up to go to the bathroom in his room. When he would come out, he would go stand under the TV, which is where the camera for the room was mounted. He would get so much enjoyment out of watching his monitor and watching the camera /image scan from side to side, up and down, searching the room for him. Then the Tech would say “Allen, I can’t see you…”)

Anyway, back to your concerns…

I’m no medical expert, but if you have abnormal (excess) brain activity, that’s no different than having E. Uncontrolled brain activity is what I think triggers seizures. And there are many different presentations of seizure, not just the grand mal kind.

My son’s seizures were what I called “Zone Out Seizures” that started when he was a teenager. Officially, they are called complex partial seizures. You could be talking with him normally, he might suddenly turn his head like he saw something, then he was GONE. He couldn’t talk, he says he could hear us, but if you gave him a simple command, like “say ‘dog’, raise your right arm”, he not only could not do them, he wouldn’t recall what we had asked when the seizure was over. He had that 1000 meter stare of a druggy also during and after the seizure. Most of his might be 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, then he would slowly “come back”.

He had seizures during meals with friends and no one but us even noticed that he had one. They were so subtle! I tell you this as it’s possible in my mind that your feelings during high emotions might actually be seizures.

There are many anti-S meds out there and it’s not uncommon that one med won’t work or has side effects for you. Drs have a path they take to treat different kinds of seizures, but it’s far from “take this med for this type of seizure.”

I didn’t follow your comment about “senior neurologist”, but I’m assuming you mean “very experienced”. Have you followed up with him since stopping the meds? Again, I ain’t a medical person, but it might be good to have a followup EEG to see if it matches the first one or if it is different. If he doesn’t have a lot of Seizure patients, I might consider going to a different DR, unless you like/trust this one of course.

It might be better for you to find an anti-S med that allows you to feel better, and that might help you in dealing with all of life’s issues as well.

Lastly, I would encourage you and your husband to get some counseling to help you deal with the emotional side of all that is happening. Seizures are scary, plus you have other things that are very emotional to deal with. Life often doesn’t allow you to not be involved emotionally, especially when it involves family. A good counselor might help you find a better method to deal with all that is happening. We as a family went to counseling over my wife’s AVM–it was traumatic for all of us. Our counselor talked with us as a group, and individually over a 3-4 month period. It really helped our young children.

I hope you can find something I wrote that can assist you. My best wishes to all of you,

Ron, KS

Wow bet that all was an experience for you! First I should be clearer it was what 3:30am when I wrote this LOL my head was splitting too. Thanks for correcting me I knew I was off with the EKG LOL couldn’t remember it was EEG but figured you all would know what I meant. Ok back to clarification when I went to this Neuro doc it was way back in 1992 or 93 I think what he meant by he was the Sr. Neurologist was he was the head Neurologist there he was being cocky. Like I said they only happen with extreme emotional upset so I just don’t go there if I can help it and since I moved away from my family back in 1993 I have only had it happen twice. I was just wondering about his comments about extra activity on one side of the brain. I had horrible migraines back in 1997 and went to a the ER for migraine that lasted for over a week I was scared. They did a CT w/o contrast and here is what it said then

A digital lateral radiograph of the skull was obtained for localization purposes. Multiple transaxial tomgraphic images were obtained from the base through the vertex with thin section tomograms through the posterior fossa. Some streak artefact is present in the basilar sections limiting sensitivity of the study.

The vetricles are symmetrical with no shift of midline structure, masses, mass effect or evidence of intracranial bleeding noted.

Conclusion: Normal appearing unenhanced CT study of the Brain. I then went to a neurologist for follow up cause the headaches continued he did an EEG but said everything was fine. I don’t believe he followed through with any Scans. Always makes me wonder if they had done one with contrast would they have seen anything different and what does it mean when they say “Some streak artefact is present in the basilar sections limiting sensitivity of the study.”

ok I had to look it up what it means by "streak artefact " Found this definition on Medcyclopedia

Streak artefact
a common artefact in computed tomography CT images which appears as a streak or line through the image. Most streak artefacts arise from an inconsistent attenuation measurement from a single detector channel in a single view, from a small number of adjacent channels in a small number of adjacent views, or from a sudden discontinuity in adjacent views. There are many causes of inconsistent measurements. For example, a highly attenuating piece of metal such as a clip may completely attenuate all or part of the X-ray beam incident on a detector, causing the attenuation measurement to be incorrect (see metal artefact). Multiple streaks will be seen emanating from the clip as the magnitude of the error will be a strong function of position of the beam relative to the clip. A similar artefact can be caused by the edges of dense bone (Fig.1) and other sharp edge transitions in the patient, such as fluid - air interfaces in the stomach and bowel.

Motion artefacts can also look like streaks. Sudden motion between adjacent views can cause streaks. While this is unlikely in modern X-ray CT scanners, slower motion can cause streak artefacts in the direction of the first view in X-ray CT due to inconsistencies between the first and last views. See overscan.

An error in a single ray of one view produces a streak artefact due to the backprojection process. If a point in an object causes an error in one view, for example due to motion, a streak through the point and propagating in the projection direction at the time of the error and extending through the entire image will result. If the error persists for multiple views, the extent of the streak will diminish in length but increase in amplitude in the region of the source of the error.

So then you would think they would of followed up at the Neurologist I went to for further evaluation and to r/o things