What do you think about AVM?

I wanna know what do you think about it. I used to think it was sort of a cancer. But I googled it & it was not. For a teen like me, I didn’t really understand what it was. What do you think about AVM?

An arteriovenous malformation is an abnormal connection between the arteries and veins in the brain that usually forms before birth.
Where is yours located?

It can also happen anywhere in the body. Some people never have problems with an AVM, but generally most people present problems in late 20’s to early 30’s. It can most times be dealt with minimal residual after effects, also it may have humongous life changing effects. For instance, I am now permanetly disabled because of AVM in left temporal lobe, I now am epileptic, have debilitating headaches, and severe memory loss. So the AVM is a rather rare thing statistically 1 in 100,000 has an AVM. Keep doing reasearch!

You’re right, Emery. I should have said cerebral AVM. We have members with avm’s in every part of their body.

Notrmia, I'm not a teen and when I was first diagnosed, I had no idea what an AVM even was. So you are not alone in asking this question...

Tim sent you a good reply and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Stay Strong & Positive!

Mine is on the right parietal. But not sure where it actually located

Will do! Thank you :)

AVMs can occure anywhere in the body but are most common in the brain and in the spine, which is where they tend to do the most damage should they rupture. A ruptured AVM anywhere in the body can be very damaging however. It's a malformed combination of vessels (arteries and veins). In an AVM the vessels lack the capillaries. This leads to a higher volume of blood flow, which is why a bleed can be so damaging.