What comes next?

Gooday everyone, It’s been around 6 weeks after my main surgery and feeling fine.
Just would be nice to know how others found their brain was, is behaving after 3 months, 6 months …, after when their AVM was removed.
Cheers :slight_smile:

Alan, Congratulations on getting through the surgery. The biggest problems I had after my surgery was pushing myself too hard. I tried to prove to myself that I was the same after the surgery as I was before the surgery, which resulted in multiple seizures. I never had any pain or severe headaches, just seizures. Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing John… I’ve been watching for responses, and hoping for a quick recovery as well… my surgery is not scheduled yet but I’m already trying to plan my recovery… lol… I’ll remember what you shared about pushing to hard I think I may find myself doing the same… Have your seizures left now… or do you still have problems with them?

John Sawyer said:

Alan, Congratulations on getting through the surgery. The biggest problems I had after my surgery was pushing myself too hard. I tried to prove to myself that I was the same after the surgery as I was before the surgery, which resulted in multiple seizures. I never had any pain or severe headaches, just seizures. Good Luck!

Rosemary. I have been able to control my seizures for 6 years now. My last seizure was at work and I decided I wasn’t going to have one again. I had to get very serious about taking my Dilantin religiously and not pushing myself in the heat. I am still very paranoid about seizures and I hope I can go another 6 years.

Rosemary Weston-Brown said:

Thanks for sharing John… I’ve been watching for responses, and hoping for a quick recovery as well… my surgery is not scheduled yet but I’m already trying to plan my recovery… lol… I’ll remember what you shared about pushing to hard I think I may find myself doing the same… Have your seizures left now… or do you still have problems with them?

John Sawyer said:

Alan,
Your scar looks like my husbands, we are glad your surgery is over and you on the recovery road. My husband also had seizures after his surgery, the first about 2 months after the surgery, he had never had any before. Since then he has had 5 others while trying to get a med that would not cause many side effects but also control those evil monsters. As I have read the temporal lobe area is famous for seizures so… He is doing very well other than that. Went back to work 3 months after surgery. Has some short term memory problems at times, especially with names but he was not that good with them before the surgery either so… He really gets stronger each day, it’s been 15 months since his surgery. Good luck to you, don’t push yourself!
Marie

Alan,
Have you ever taken anything other than Dilantin? How much Dilantin are you taking a day? What has your doc ever said about the possibility of ever coming off of dilantin? Did he say anything about temporal lobe being an area that is prone to seizures?
My husband also had his AVM/surgery in the left temporal lobe area and came through the surgery very good except those evil seizure monsters!
Marie

Hi Marie,
Have only taken Dilatin, take 3 100mg capsules a day, yes the surgeon says there is a possibility of stopping to take them, I have not had another siezure since the first one that started this path.
I have a trough blood test every couple of weeks just to make sure the meds are always in my bloodstream.
Nothing has ever been said about having an AVM in the left temporal lobe causing more seizures than anywhere else in the brain.

Thanks everyone for replying
Alan

Hi John,

Sounds like my husband. he did the very same thing , he tried going back to his old ways and he found himself with seizures, hemeroids. He would leave work and would run a mile, went back to the gym to lift weights. hanging out with his party friends.

Tina

John Sawyer said:

Hi Alan,

Praying for you that things are going well for you. My husband after his surgery struggled and with a lot of frustration. because he could not do things like before. he could not do math, spell, read, he says basically everything.

It was a slow process for him. he finally learned that he needed to know his limits.

God Bless
Tina

I had my AVM removed about 2 months ago. I have constant headaches especially since last monday. I went back to work (I’m a teacher). But besides that, everything is fine. I’m a little more tired than usual and have trouble functioning if I don’t sleep for at least 10 hours. Besides that I am back to normal…my avm was in the right frontal lobe. the neurosurgeon said that if you’re gonna have an AVM that’s the best place for it to be because th eleast serious damage. Hope everything goes well for you.