What advice would you give to your younger self?

What advice would you give to your younger self?

1. Take out a life insurance policy young (18).
  2. Purchase a plot to be buried in.
  3. Make preparations for transportation.
  4. Apply for Medicaid early.
  1. Don’t be stupid, lol.

Honestly, I think about this sometimes, and I feel like I could write a few hundred pages on the subject.

Have yourself thoroughly checked out by a doctor, before you have a cerebral bleed.
I knew two people, unrelated to me, who died of an AVM bleed before I had mine.
That does not sound to me like a super rare event.

I never replied to this, so here goes…

My main advice to myself would be to “just do it, for goodness sake!”

I am a modest kind of guy and not filled with self importance or a feeling that I know best or anything of that kind. Consequently, I have fought shy of going out and doing some things until later in life. I think I have followed a plan of earning respect from which to build the next step in what I am doing, especially at work but also in life, in love.

I got to the age of 40 and decided I was not getting anywhere with this tactic. Other people seemed more successful than me. Other people seemed unencumbered by any need for justification.

I threw off my bonds at the age of 40, deciding that I was by now old enough, experienced enough and of good standing that my opinion on things was as good as anyone else’s. But I had waited until 40 to throw off that false limit.

What. A. Waste. Of. Time.

So, be brave. Consider yourself equal to everyone else. And let yourself do everything that you see other people that you look up to doing. Try it. Do it. Don’t wait for permission. Because it’s just a waste of what you could bring to the world.

How about that?

Best wishes always,

Richard

1 Like

I wouldn’t change a thing - and, wouldn’t want to change my past self’s train of thought

If one thing was different, who knows how things would have turned out - or, I would still be here to type away

I would’ve told myself to get scanned way earlier on in life so my AVM could have been found sooner and treated before it got as bad as it is now. Also get an advance directive notarized as soon as I would’ve turned 18.

The one thing I’d tell my younger self is that

Life is RIGHT NOW
Life is HERE NOW
Life is PRESENT

1 Like