Visual disturbances?

My AVM sat near where my vision is controlled, it’s now non-existant, but I wonder if I will have to forever put up with the visual disturbances I get sometimes. I mean there is always something constantly bugging the right corners of my eyes (seems like it’s more in my right eye only, but neuro opthamology tells me different). Just some times it is more intense than others.

I made a visit back to the ER in early Feb about a week after I got out of the hospital the first time because I started seeing the shapes and stuff that I was seeing when I had my bleed. They did a CT scan but found nothing of concern. Just told me to drink a lot of water. When I went for my initially scheduled follow up scan my neurologist said it was most likely a result of the healing from the bleed, and when I had my vision examined by the neuro opthamologist she said that was exactly it.

It happened once more before surgery , but lasted less than 5 minutes (I just drank water and calmed myself down). Yesterday I saw shapes again which scared me especially because I’ve had my craniotomy and stuff done, but they were not as intense as they were when my AVM was still present. This also went away on it’s own. Is there still more stuff my brain is trying to heal? Or is this just something I’m going to have to put up with for the rest of my life? My friend told me that after her surgery she was told some of her visual disturbances were a result of anesthesia (squiggly lines and stuff). I see those, but geometric shapes as well (I saw these when I first bled). Any ideas?

Toni,

I don’t have the answers but I have seen funny shapes and all sorts of bizarre things too. Like yours, my op was in the visual bit of my head.Have you only recently had your op? Do you have epilepsy? I’m asking cos visual hallucinations can be a part of epilepsy (i’ve got epilepsy, controlled now). Feel free to e-mail me,
from a fellow person who has seen funny things, and yes, they do go away!
flower
x

Hi Toni,
I see funny shapes etc too. I saw things after my surgery, and it was part of the healing process. I also continue to see things 9 years on (but it’s different than what I saw initially and it doesn’t happen as much) - with me, sometimes it’s epilepsy, other times it’s a migraine (I never knew this, but my neuro told me that you can get visual disturbances and no pain and it can be a migraine). My advice is to talk to your doctor - they can put your mind at ease.
Cheers,
Lou

Hi Toni,
No worries :slight_smile: You’re usually put on the epilepsy meds as a precaution for a while after your op. I sometimes see a pale, shimmering person - used to freak me out til my neuro said it was migraine. Definitely worth asking about :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Lou

My avm is in my left parietal lobe near my speech center and I get a visual disturbance on occasion but I think mine is a warning before a bad headache. I see little squiggly lines in the right corner of my eye. If I relax, take a tylenol and drink water I’m usually fine after that. I have never had a bleed. My avm was treated by two embolizations and one stereotactic radiation treatment.

Toni,
My husband (the AVM patient) also “saw” things after his left temporal lobe craniotomy for about 8 months, it did decrease during that time as well. He said it was like things were “flying in” he said it seemed like “creatures” of sort but nothing he had ever seen before. His neuro said this was normal and that in time they would go away, and they did. So since your surgery was so recent I’m sure they will go away in time too!
Blessings!
Steve & Marie