Updates

Well I have to say that I wouldn’t have been able to cope with my AVM problems and questions without everyones support on this site. It is unreal how close of a community this place is. I’ve had 3 embolizations this year and the recovery for each of them have managed to take a toll on me. I still have to have at least one more done followed up by gamma knife, so the journey is not over. I’m truly blessed with the outcome of each of my surgeries and the good doctors and nurses that I have had at UT Southwestern. Being a young male in my mid-20s, this has been a real eye opener as to taking nothing for granted and making the most out of life while you’re living it. I’ve been thinking alot lately about making a career change and going to the nonprofit sector as I’d rather be helping a cause instead of helping fill a rich man’s pockets full of cash. Unfortunately my experience is all in the IT field but I do have a college degree in Radio/TV that hopefully could be put to use. I won’t be quitting my job in the search for a need to give back, especially in this economy, but I will be looking.

John it isgood to see you up here and read your words . Very intraspective , altruistic and thoughtful thoughts that you have shared .
You will always be where you are meant to be and do what you are intended to do - as you are now . Your ability to share you is very helpful to this cause right here . You are giving back to the world by the giving of yourself…the give and take of the ability to share is the basis for all you will come to do . You are off to a good start and the possibilities belong to you …eyes wide open and one moment at a time John . You will make it so .

John, I wish you all the best and do understand what you are saying about working. After my 13 year old having the stroke because of the AVM it was mind opening to see how these people doing the jobs they do with a smile, while I was working to put cash in the rich man’s pocket. I felt I should be doing something else. I am definetely thinking of other options, this gave me some time to reflect on what was really important. Wishing you good luck from So California,

Good for you John. I think all of us can relate to the wanting to do something worthwhile with our lives. I’ve been in contact with the Brain Injury Assoc. in my state and we’ve spoken about what I might possibly be able to do, given my limitations. I admire your thoughts of changing career paths and I wish you the best of luck, both with your continuing AVM battle and your career.

Nice thoughts. All the best to you. Life can change on a dime and all the money in the world can’t buy our health. If you enjoy the IT field stay put and give back in other small ways. You are on a good path at such a young age. All the best in your AVM tx.

I really enjoyed your post John. It is great to be able to help others…I worked in that area for about 5 years and it was the best thing I have ever done. When it’s meant to happen, it will happen. All the very best with your career and with your treatments.