Unsteadiness/Inbalanced after cranio 8 mos. ago

Hello, all. I had a cranio on July 15, 2011 to fix an AVM. The surgery was a success, and the AVM was 100% cured. Periodically since then, and more in the past few months, I quite often experience an unbalanced/unsteady feeling when walking. I have had a ENG to check for vesitbular problems, and it was determined one of my ears was slightly stronger than the other. I went for balance therapy for this, and it seemed to resolve for quite a while. It now seems like this same feeling is back. I saw my optometrist today thinking it was something vision-related, but all is clear there. BP is not an issue, and blood sugar is fine. I am waiting on a call back from my neurosurgeon to see what he has to say about it, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. It has been 8 1/2 mos since my surgery, and some people say this is a long time, others say I'm just getting started and it could take several years to really feel "normal". Has anyone experienced prolonged off-balance/unsteady feelings, or have anything else to add to this topic?

You'll probably notice there are a lot of us with balance issues. I'm almost 4 years since my bleed/crani. I still have unsteadiness and balance problems. Sometimes it's worse than others. Sometimes I have several days in a row of extreme vertigo. Those times are fewer now but I always have some degree of it. I did the balance therapy thing too. It didn't help me much. Yoga helps me but you have to take it slow and only do what you can. I know it's frustrating but you'll discover it becomes a bit more managable.

Hi, Trish. Thank you for your reply. Do you have any lightheadedness? I am currently battling frequent lighheadedness, not so much dizzy, just a feeling of I'm about to faint or fall over. I'm wondering if this is due to the balance issue, or if its something else. Like I said, I am scheduled to see my neurosurgeon on 4-13, but am just wondering if others have the same issue.

I don't get lightheaded unless I stand up too quickly but I guess that could be said for anyone. Unsteady a lot! I like to grab my husband's shoulder whenever I walk. I feel better doing that. After you see your neurosurgeon, you'll also probably want to get to know a neurologist, if you don't already have one. Your surgeon you'll discover will pronounce you "cured" and send you on your merry way. Once the AVM is gone their job is done, but they may suggest something. If you are still having issues after that, follow up with a neurologist. When I started having bad vertigo issues a few months ago my neurologist ran a series of tests to make sure I hadn't developed a seizure disorder (which I haven't, thankfully).