Thunderstorms

Its mid August here in New Hampshire- the summers are glorious with warm days and cool(er) nights. Having lived here for only a few years I can appreciate why the locals are riveted by the summer warmth as it is so fleeting.

We’ve had a summer season full of thunderstorms, though. It seems as if every other day another batch comes rumbling through. Its somewhat unusual up here, because of the topography they don’t develop as often as, say, Kansas. So, strangely, its been a treat to hear Mother Nature’s fireworks. We’ve had such a range- the subtle rumbling in the clouds, the crack of a nearby lightening strike or the repetitive booming of thunder over 20 minutes or so.

I was outside a few days ago doing some odds and ends of yard chores when I could smell one coming. You know what I mean? They say its ozone, but its a subtle shift in the wind, the leaves on the trees show their undersides and you can smell the rain in the air. Your stomach gets a little antsy as your primal brain realizes that danger approaches. It’s an amazing feeling. I retreated to the open garage and the heaven’s opened; buckets of rain, bolts of electricity, wind out of nowhere- exhilirating to be sure.

I’ve read that almost every part of the globe, except for the arctic, experiences thunderstorms. They know no borders, they just roll across the landscape, almost like living, breathing things- laughing at us little things. We try to control so many things, but this one beats us every time (and probably for a long time to come). I guess that’s what I like about them, they are not part of the controlled, human world. Its nature at one of its best times.

And, it reminds me that so much of our life is not in our control, like an AVM. Sure, we can treat it after the fact, just like cleaning up the branches after a storm. Yet, we cannot control ‘where’ its going to go or, to a great degree, how it’ll affect us. It knows no boundaries and happens when we least expect it. I think all we can do is accept it, right? Get onto the porch, don’t sit under a tree, stay off the phone- we can only deal with the aftermath. And, you know what? We’re pretty damn good at that.

Stay well, all.