Throbbing pains, should I be worried?

I had my AVM removed 2 years ago (craniotomy), and had an angiogram last November, which was all clear. I have still been having headaches quite frequently since it has been removed, and I assumed a lot of it was due to stress. But for the last month I’ve noticed my headaches have all of a sudden stopped, I’ve only had 2 or 3 serious ones since a month ago, but now instead of headaches I’ve been getting throbbing pains near my right eye (my AVM was near my left eye), in the same spot and it can be pretty painful.

At first I just thought it was just another pain from stress, but the fact it’s been happening for nearly a month in the exact same spot is starting to worry me. I don’t want to jump to conclusions and start scaring the hell out of my mum, so I haven’t seen a dr or anything… I’d just like your opinions first, if anyone’s experienced a similar thing…?

Like I said, I had an angiogram only about 7 months ago, so is it even possible for one to form and start hurting me in that short amount of time???

I have had those all along, most of the time it is right where the AVM is but I have them on the other side as well. I would definitely tell your Dr. the next time you go or speak with your normal physician to see if they think you need to be seen again. The other posibility is that your headaches are changing, that is common. I know new AVM’s can form but I do not want to advise you on that part of it, I am no expert and since I know how weird they can be, do not want tell you something that may not be true.
The other possibility is that these new headaches are migraines. Migraines tend to be one sided and are a terrible throbbing (like your heart is beating in your head).
I either have the terrible throbbing migraine or I have the stabbing pain. Even after 11 years they have not went away. They are a little better now, mostly because I have learned to control them instead of them controlling me.

I had my surgery over 2 years ago…headache constantly since. But recently I have also been having throbbing shooting pains. The doctor told me they think it is just the blood trying to get through and when you have a headache the vessels constrict. I put an ice pack on my head and most of the time it helps some. Try that just to see if you get any relief and of course talk to your neuro.

it is more of a stabbing pain actually, it’s not a continuous throb. it’s just a fairly sharp pain that comes and goes randomly.

Susan T. said:

I have had those all along, most of the time it is right where the AVM is but I have them on the other side as well. I would definitely tell your Dr. the next time you go or speak with your normal physician to see if they think you need to be seen again. The other posibility is that your headaches are changing, that is common. I know new AVM’s can form but I do not want to advise you on that part of it, I am no expert and since I know how weird they can be, do not want tell you something that may not be true.
The other possibility is that these new headaches are migraines. Migraines tend to be one sided and are a terrible throbbing (like your heart is beating in your head).

I either have the terrible throbbing migraine or I have the stabbing pain. Even after 11 years they have not went away. They are a little better now, mostly because I have learned to control them instead of them controlling me.

please report back what he said after you see him.

Jenny said:

I have stabbing pains that come and go in the AVM resection site. I am going to bring it up with my neurosurgeon when I see him shortly. I want to say that just started but I am not sure if they moved up the list as deficits fell off!

Better to be safe than sorry…

I’m glad I’m not the only one, that’s taken a lot off my shoulders lol, I was starting to get really worried. It probably is just that. Thanks, I will try that. I’m really sick of taking strong pain killers (they make me constipated).

Brittany said:

I had my surgery over 2 years ago…headache constantly since. But recently I have also been having throbbing shooting pains. The doctor told me they think it is just the blood trying to get through and when you have a headache the vessels constrict. I put an ice pack on my head and most of the time it helps some. Try that just to see if you get any relief and of course talk to your neuro.

I also have stabbing headaches. My Neurologist said that sometimes it’s hard to tell exactly why we get them after surgery and all…Just try not to take too much Advil/Motrin type meds, they are blood thinners.

If you get any different reason from your doctor, please let me know.

Grace