Quantcast

AVM Survivors Network

Thought this may be worth a mention: wrist access angiogram

I’ve been reading on here and have seen a lot of mention recently about members getting their angiograms done, whether it be for diagnosis or treatment. I was dreading my most recent angiogram because when I got one done three years ago in conjunction with my gamma knife radiation, it was a difficult recovery for me. However, at the consult with my neurosurgeon to discuss my last angiogram, he explained that he will now be going in through my right wrist instead of the groin. I was elated to say the least. The day of my procedure they did prep both my right wrist and my groin just in case but they were in fact able to get in through the wrist. My postop was quick and was no need to lay flat for hours like when I got it done through the groin. My recovery the week after was a literal breeze in comparison to the same procedure three years prior. I’m not sure if this is a new or “cutting edge,” but I haven’t seen it mentioned recently and thought I would share. Being on this journey almost 4 years post bleed, I am always willing to help the next person :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Interesting, hadn’t heard of that before, great to hear it went a lot better! I hope to not get another angiogram, next for me is MRI in two years to have a peak and make sure nothin odd has occurred. Take Care, John.

@Jeannine
I know UCSF can do it this way, when I asked my dr at Stanford he said no because he wanted to look at both sides of my brain.
We are in a holding pattern right now for me.
Angela

Brilliant information. Thanks

Thank you for the information. I have had three procedures done at UCSF, all through the groin, and all difficult recoveries. I will keep this in mind if I have to have another one.

1 Like

@Cindy_A I recall reading about in the SF chronicle but can’t find it now but here’s a video from 2011 to the heart
https://youtu.be/YnritaFankM
I think the article was about the same time.
Angela

Hi there!
I’ve had both groin proceedure which took 5 hours in post surgery to stop bleeding plus a bruise the size of a dinner plate which took a couple of weeks to clear up and reduce mobility for a couple of days. The second done through my wrist was excellent. No issues what so ever. I got the impression that it’s down to the skill level or experience of the surgeon. When I asked him why he was going in through my wrist he simply said confidently ‘’ because I can’’. I think it’s a more difficult method but that’s just the impression I got. My surgeon Dr Philips who operates out of Perth Australia is my experience excellent. I hope the wrist proceedure is the way of things to come!
Cheers.
Ian

1 Like

Wow that is great news Jeannie. I wish my neurosurgeon was as smart as yours. I have had 3 angiograms through the groin and have gone through pure heck with all 3. I will NEVER have another one through the groin. The answer is always the same anyway “there is nothing we can do for you”. I am so happy for you.