This is from my first Gamma Knife follow up

My MRI says, “there are now adjacent Parenchymal signal changes, which could represent post treatment or ischemic change”. Attention follow up imaging is suggested. So is that okay? Or not? Anyone have this, what does it mean?

Linda,

I think this is why we need doctors to interpret this stuff for us. If we try to work out out ourselves, it can be more worrisome because we don’t really know what’s what.

My reading of it is that your brain tissue adjacent to your AVM has changed and the changes are like there is less blood flow to the tissue. It then says this could be to do with your treatment or it could be “ischaemic” (which is to do with reduced flow, perhaps from another cause; for example an ischaemic stroke is one where a blood clot has blocked a small vessel and starved some tissue of blood, oxygen, nutrients etc.)

I don’t know enough to say what it actually means and I’m not a doctor but looking at the individual words and what they say, that would be my guess. But it’s a guess, so let the doctor tell you what it means.

In summary, I think you’ve got less flow going on. Whether that is good or bad, I can’t tell you. You do want less flow through the AVM. I would say you don’t really want adjacent impacts if you can help it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Richard

Hi there!

The primary physician needs to take this radiologist’s reading and interpret it, placing it in total context (before/after treatment, current signs and symptoms, other diagnostic testing, the person’s medical history). Ischemia does refer to reduced blood flow, which could be an expected result of treatment. As Richard states, it is best to ask your doctor to explain it to you.

:wink:

Yes I agree, I just got a call yesterday about signing up to talk with my neurosurgeon by zoom. I’ll see what he says soon now. Thank you!

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it, I signed up today after they called yesterday, to do a zoom visit with my neurosurgeon Dr. Frasier at UK in Kentucky. So I’ll know more soon.

1 Like

I hope you get a good answer from your doctor. Don’t be afraid to keep asking questions until you are sure you understand what he is telling you. Wish you all the best.

Thank you, I will ask and find out all I can. Maybe they can do my angiogram soon now.

Prayers to you, Linda, & the rest of the AVM survivors here!

I heard something thoughtful today that I would like to share to you all here. It went something like this: If you have a hard life, life is actually really SHORT, so a hard life is just a short time!

I GET THAT!!!

Lisa