This is for old avm survivors

HI FAMILY AS YOU KNOW IT’S BEEN OVER 30 DAYS SINCE SURGERY, DOIN FINE HEAD JUST A LITTLE SORE FROM WHERE HE WENT IN AND SCARE’S ARE HEALIN GOOD. SO MY QUESTION IS WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO START TO THINK ABOUT GOIN BACK TO WORK? I AM DOIN VERY WELL AND I SEE THE DOC AGAIN ON THE 1ST OF DEC. BUT I SM SO BORED TIRED OF BEIN BROKE NO INCOME NO-ONE TO GET ANY MONEY FROM AND I THINK I HAVE DRAINED MY FAMILY DRY, I NEED THINGS NOW AND DONT KNOW WHERE THE MONEY IS GOIN TO COME FROM TO GET THEM, MY CAR IS ON IT’S LAST LEG NEEDIN SOME REPAIRS OR I WANT HAVE A WAY TO WORK. SSDI IN TEXAS SAY’S YOU HAVE TO BE OFF AT LEAST A YEAR MY YEAR WANT BE UP UNTILL APRIL I CANT STAY OFF THAT LONG WITHOUT MONEY. THANK GOD I MOVED BACK WITH MY MOM BUT SHE IS HAVIN A HARD TIME JUST KEEPIN THE BILLS PAID. WHAT DO YOU DO? I WANT HEAR FROM MY JOB ABOUT MY DISTIABILITY RETIREMENT UNTILL FEB AT LEAST WHEN THEY APPROVE THAT THAT WILL BE OK BUT FOR RIGHT NOW I AM REALLY ABOUT TO LOSE IT. MY GRANDS UNDERSTAND NO XMAS FROM SANTA GRANNY AND THAT’S OK I CAN HANDLE THAT IT’S JUST THE LITTLE THINGS I NEED NOW THAT ARE ABOUT TO DRIVE ME CRAZY, BELIEVE ME I DO UNDERSTAND I HAVE TO LET MY BRAIN HEAL AS TO HAVE NO SET BACKS AND DOIN WELL BUT DO YOU ALL THINK I COULD GO BACK AT LEAST FOR 4HRS A DAY JUST SOMETHIN TO GET SOME INCOME AND GET OUT THE HOUSE FOR A WHILE. I COULD REALLY UNDERSTAND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT IF I WAS HAVIN ANY SIDE EFFECTS FROM THE SURGERY BUT THANK GOD I AM NO HAVIN ANY SO I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM SOME OLD AVMER’S THANK YOU GOD BLESS

Hi Sheree,
I know things are tough. I’ve been in the same situation some before. We just thank the Lord that we are here. I’ll be praying for you that you will have guidance and that your financial situation can improve…Hugs:)

I completely understand. But take it slow…I thought I could handle at least doing some work at home (paperwork and organization of real estate contracts - since I generally make 6-figures in real estate) and it was more difficult than I first thought. Of course, they took out some brain tissue when they removed my AVM and I had to learn everything again, from breathing and swallowing to walking and talking. I still have a little memory problem and balance issue, but I’m so much better. Just last Friday I got my approval for disability. HOORAY! I know I will be losing my home and am behind on a lot of bills, but the important thing is that I am still alive and able to share my experience of being on the doorstep to heaven. That’s my new mission in life…to let others know that it really DOES exist and we should ALL be believers. So find a purpose and it will be easier. And don’t rush it - it takes time to heal from this type of surgery. Money is not what’s important in life. I know if feels like you’re not contributing and a burden to others (I felt the same way), but you have provided before and you will again. Take it easy! :slight_smile: I’ll keep you on my prayer list (you’re already on it, but I’ll change the prayer a bit).

I wish I had taken it slow. I wish I had let others take care of me. I wish I hadn’t tried to be so strong. The expectations from others, because of my wish to return to normal, has now put a burden on me I was not prepared for. I do work 4 hours a day and 4 days a week but being a hairdresser people think I should be able to do more and I can’t. My suggestion is to take this time and look around for other options within your own reach. I was fortunate to have taken out a disability policy when I was 20 and who knew that working I could still collect, that has taken a huge load of financially. Next I checked my life insurance and there was money I could borrow against with only paying interest on an annual payment. I cleaned out closets and took things to a consignment shop. I had a yard sale. I make dinners and bake things for others who have the privledge of working and they pay me to do so, kind of like a caterer. Be creative with the time you have and remember that the stress of a work place can be taxing instead of helpful. These are just some of the choices I have and I am sure yours are different but non the less we all have choices and sometimes we don’t even know we have them till we go looking for them. Enjoy your holiday with your loved ones and maybe they can offer suggestions because they know you and how valuable you are to them and all of us. Take care and take it slow.

Hi Sheree. How wonderful that you’re doing so well. At the time of my bleed I was the sole provider for my family as my husband had been laid off from his job as a builder. Fortunately, my company continued to pay me my normal salary right up until the time I left the hospital, calling it “loyalty pay”. That was a huge help, but we were barely making it on just one income. So because of this I tried rushing back to work also, pretty much right after my physical therapy was over. I took it slow, working about 4 hours a day, 2 or 3 days a week. I found that I could still do many of the things I did before but there was so much more that I couldn’t do and I’d forget what I had just done. I would be incredibly exhausted after just those few hours. My employees were just as demanding as they had been before, they didn’t understand of course. It didn’t take long before I realized that I just couldn’t do it and yes the financial strain was huge. We nearly lost our home, but we have family that was willing and able to help. My advice to you is to truly take it slow. Do as much as feel you can and no more. Don’t be too hard on yourself if there are some things you cannot do, it takes time!

sheree: I am a nure and went back…maybe a bit too soon but my boss is great althogh job is a job…listen to your body…and pry for guidnce…you are alive and living with your mom…contie to check resources and trust me I went back to py off medicl bills but unfortnately I wound up back in the hospitl a few weeks ago so I am not convince my avm is “ok”… point is I know we need money to live but you need to be healthy… agin listen to your body…God will provide. four hours a dy may not seem like alot but your body nees to heal sweetie…don’t overdo it. xoxo mare

I went back early fulltime (even though the doctor told me to go slow). It was not good. Lots of pain and problems. Then, they sent me on a small plane. 3 hour flight. Got there and fell on the ground on my knees. Didn’t get up for awhile. It hurt. Try to go back, but go slow.

THANKS, AL,MARE,TRISH, LORI,KATE, JAMES, FOR YOUR ADVICE, I WILL KEEP PRAYIN AND FOLLOW WHAT MY DOC SAY’STO DO, IT’S HARD BUT IWILL DO THE RIGHT THING WILL UPDATE AFTER I SEE THE DOC. THIS WEEK GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Sherree, I would say be patient with yourself. What you’ve been through is huge to say the least. Take it slow in baby steps. I went back to work and in a way I though it was good to keep busy but looking back now I can see how it set me back in my progress. It’s caused me alot of pain and sometimes just emotional upset at myself for my own limitations. I work at a computer all day and it can be demanding. Sometimes I would just cry like a baby because I couldn’t think. I’ve had to learn to do things differently, things that used to be so easy for me seem so complicated sometimes. But the good news is that it takes time, and you have to give that to yourself but you will get better as time goes by. Our brains are complicated. I never looked at myself as having a brain injury until my GP told me that it’s how I have to look at it and go easy on myself. I’ve learned that with patience and prayer, God always makes a way somehow.

sheree, exercising helped me out so much. start out slow. right after the gamma knife i was so weak, i joined a gym and like i said started out slow and now i am amazed at how far along i have come. i went to work 2 weeks after the gamma knife. left work a few times because i was either sick, weak, both. but every day you get stronger. God first. your sister in Christ Jesus. grace

Hi Sheree. It looks like your finances are tight. I found this website...

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/about/

Perhaps there is a church in your area that participates in this food program. Hope you are feeling better!

HI MY FRIENDS WELL I DID TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND SLOW DOWN AND GLAD I DID I WASNT READY TO GO BACK TO WORK STILL OFF LOL, MY BALANCE IS OFF TROUBLE WITH VISION ON LEFTSIDE, AND STILL HAVE SOME PAIN IN LEGS STILL ON STERIODS FOR THE PAIN AND THE KEPPRA SO WORK WAS NOT THE PLACE TO BE AT THIS TIME. DOC SAY’S CANT GO UNTILL I AM OFF ALL MEDS SO I JUST CHILL NOT WANTIN TO BUT HAVE TO BUT THANKS TO YOU ALL