Terrified

I had a serious brain-stem bleed on 25/12/2005 caused by an avm, an attemp was made to embollise it 6 months later but the surgeon couldn’t complete the procedure. I was referred for gamma-knife surgery which took place in sept 2006. They never bothered to check the efficacy of the GK treatment until I had an MRI last week that apparently showed the avm is still there. GK treatment was as traumatising an experience as I’ve had. I now feel like a conemned man. What should I think?

Get a SECOND OPINION or third or fourth. It may be expensive but then you would know how you want to handle this situation. Best of luck and we will be praying for you!

Hi Dom. Did they say it had shrunk? Sometimes one round of GK isn’t enough. We have members who have done it multiple times to keep shrinking it more and more. And I agree with Barbara. Ck with some other docs. Honestly different doctors have different “comfort” levels with treating AVM’s. One says “this type of treatment” can’t be done, and another will say sure it can be. I’d take a look at other members who live by you and find out who they have seen. Maybe another doc could do an embo. Maybe they all recommend another round of GK. But get more than one person looking at you and giving you there recommendations. Don’t feel condemned. Arm yourself with questions and knowledge and then go find the right doc to help you out some more!
Good luck :slight_smile:
Shalon

I haven’t even had the appt with the neurologist yet but I will get a 2nd opinion. I’m keen to avoid another round of GK given how traumatic it was last time (unless it can be done under general anaesthetic).

Shalon said:

Hi Dom. Did they say it had shrunk? Sometimes one round of GK isn’t enough. We have members who have done it multiple times to keep shrinking it more and more. And I agree with Barbara. Ck with some other docs. Honestly different doctors have different “comfort” levels with treating AVM’s. One says “this type of treatment” can’t be done, and another will say sure it can be. I’d take a look at other members who live by you and find out who they have seen. Maybe another doc could do an embo. Maybe they all recommend another round of GK. But get more than one person looking at you and giving you there recommendations. Don’t feel condemned. Arm yourself with questions and knowledge and then go find the right doc to help you out some more!
Good luck :slight_smile:

Shalon