tDCS/TMS for recovery?

Has anyone looked into transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) or transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for recovery post surgery/stroke?

Hey Will,
I have, in the past, used a TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator). But as I now have a VP shunt with a magnetic valve, I have been strongly advised against using it anymore as the current will alter the valve settings. At the time of it’s use it was explained to me that the device ‘maybe’ beneficial in reducing muscle tension and thus, reduce the ‘tension headaches’. But my headaches are not tension headaches so the benefits were not there post surgery.

I would highly recommend speaking to your neuro medical team regarding the use of such devices for your specific situation. I know some people who swear by such devices but be aware they are not always appropriate for some neuro patients.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Hi Will!
I have tried TMS for the sake of recovery! I cant say that it helpless, but it didn’t change much. Here in Russia, they advise to make 10 appointments as a treatment course. I made only five due to the price of procedure. I DID feel some very minor changes on my weak side, but only on the days of stimulations.
Besides, doctor offered to stimulate my health brain side(left one) to fight anxiety and depression. This way it worked much better for me.

Hope it helps, Artem.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply guys.

@ModSupport I currently use TENS for any muscle related pain but I don’t believe TENS works as a nerve/brain stimulator.

@Artem I am interested in TMS but the price is a lot for the machine. I might consider some sessions in the future.