Taxes with brain hemorrhage and Epilepsy

Hello
After AVM I ended up paying for my mom to move from one continent to another to take care of me.
She has lived here 2 years and I have to pay
rent
food

1 Like

I sure can’t help you much! In Canada there is various disability tax credits and specific medical expenses that can be claimed. I know this due to largely costs associated to travel to get to services. I would recommend considering an accountant, although costly, one specializing in taxes may be well worth the investment. I know here you want to get it right as if anything ends up owing we pay interest on that. John.

1 Like

Hi Rafara, I’m not good at the stuff you’re asking about-- tax advice. The only practical advice I can give from experience is-- file. Even if you don’t have a clue what is a viable deduction, expense, etc. still fill out as much info as you can, sign it, and send it in.
Ironically, whenever I do my taxes I end up getting money back because I over-payed.
The worst case scenario is that someone from the IRS sends you a letter saying you did a crappy job and you need to re-file. Best wishes, Greg

Hello
I would suggest contacting a cpa if you think your medical expenses meet the requirements.

Here is a good article from AARP which you don’t have to be an older adult to join

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2020/medical-expenses-tax-deduction-rules.html.

Angela

1 Like

I’m a CPA with an AVM. Here’s a good article that may guide you. There are 5 tests you must meet.

Claiming a Parent As a Dependent.