Taste and smell

Hi everyone, I have a question and hope someone has had experience with this. I had a craniotomy Jan. 2021 for a Davf. The neurosurgeon said the issue was very close to the olfactory nerve. When I was in the hospital, I got Covid. I have not had taste or smell since Jan. 2021. The neurosurgeon never told me that the operation may affect my taste and smell since it was so close to the olfactory nerve. I thought it was from the covid. I am now wondering if I am ever going to get smell and taste back. Has anyone had this loss after the craniotomy was performed near the olfactory nerve?

Hi @Puff. I lost most of my sense of smell after bleed. I’ve had four bleeds, but I think it was after my second that I started noticing my sense of smell was gone. Just letting you know you aren’t going crazy! Blessings as you continue!

1 Like

Hey Puff,
I had a craniotomy and had issues with ALL of my sense. And to some degree still do, especially my eyes. Initially, post surgery, it was my skin. Similar to a mild chemical burn, sensitive to touch but no obvious signs of damage, but that only lasted 2-3 weeks, then miraculously came good. When I walked my hearing was like coming in waves and very disorientating. My balance is a mess and they say your hearing plays a major role in balance or it just may be that I’m naturally dizzy My taste seemed a little haywire, in that, tastes I’d formally enjoyed seemed ‘odd’, not the same. At times my hearing ‘plays tricks’ but rarely now. Over time my taste and smell settled but my eyes still give me chronic bad symptoms.

And I agree, or if you are, you’re just as crazy as the rest of us.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Hi Random, thank you so much for responding to my post. Glad to know it’s not just me. May I ask how you are dealing with your loss of smell?

To be honest, I never had a really strong sense of smell which is ironic I suppose cause I have a large nose! In mixed company I simply go along with the crowd but most of the time I don’t smell anything. I used to depend on my eyesight to inform my sense of smell, such as cow manure probably doesn’t smell too good. But since my vision is nearly gone from subsequent bleeds, I just go with the flow.

Thank you for replying Random. I have generally been going with the flow but lately it’s been bothering me more. I will be praying for you.

1 Like