Still in a coma? what does this mean?

My good friend Sue was at a meeting for her daughter who has special needs. She got upset about the placement and all of a sudden she started to act very strange. They called 911 immediately, and she was airlifted to a hospital and had emergency surgery. They removed a AVM 4 weeks ago. They said it was a massive bleed and if it was a half hour longer she would have bled out. They said she would be in a coma while here brain healed from the trauma. The problem is…She is STILL in a coma. What does this mean? Should she have woken up by now?? The doctor said that we will not know the extent of damage until she wakes up. Is it possible she will never wake up? I am devastated! Her daughter (who is severely disabled) needs her mom. Sue also has a brand new grandbaby. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on how long this coma may last and if there is still a chance that she will recover from this. I am trying to learn everything I can about AVMs. I am praying that someone out there can give me some hope. Sue is the most loving, wonderful, kind person I am ever met in my life. I have a special needs child too so Sue has been such a bright spot in my life the past two years. I just miss talking with her so much. I visit and do all the talking. She seems like she is trying to move her right arm, but she is snoring like she is in a deep, deep sleep. They have now moved her to a long term care hospital and they are doing range of motion exercises with her. Any responses are needed! Thanks you so much!

As all AVMs and patients are different, I’m not sure anyone can offer you more than we hope she recovers. Bleeding in the brain is very serious.

This site contains a wealth of good info from people who have been or are in the journey. I hope someone can offer you information.

Ron, KS

Shelley,

I am so very sorry about your friend. I will pray for her and her family. Please everyone add Sue to your
prayers lists and maybe we could light candles for her. Mine was just lit.
Shelley keep talking to her and let her know you are there for her.
Please keep us updated on her condition and let her family know they can join and we will be there for them as well.
Glad you found us - we are one big family here and will do what we can to support all of you

shelly,
hang in there and stay positive …there is a reason the doctors are keeping your friend in a coma…i was keept in a coma for five weeks …and it took me another 2 weeks to wake up proply after being brought out…you and your friend are in my prayers…stay strong…sending lots of positive energies your way to help you through this rough time xxx

Shelley, I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Like Ron said, everyone is different. I had a relatively small AVM but a very large bleed. I was kept in a coma for 2 weeks before surgery, was still in a coma 2 weeks after surgery. I obviously did wake up. I wish I could tell you what made it happen for me. I do know that my husband was there almost constantly, his mother as well. They talked to me, played my favorite music. Also, the hospital staff always treated me like I was still in there. I wish your friend all the very best. Please do keep us posted. We all are one big family, and we genuinely care about everyone going through this.

sending you my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something I could say but I do not know. God can work miracles. Have faith.
((hugs))

Rachel

I think anything is possible at this point. I know of a young girl who’s AVM bled at 9yrs of age and she was in a coma for 3 months and then she went on to recover…so you just can only hope and pray that your friend comes out of her coma. I would keep talking to her and letting her know that you or someone is there.
My thoughts are with you. What a shock this must be for everyone.

I am lighting a candle tonight for Sue and everyone who loves her. Be strong and the more constant company and talking you can do, the better. I had an AVM/aneurysm bleed and didn’t wake up for four days. I incorporated lots of what was going on around me into my coma dreams, so my advice is to be upbeat, positive and to talk about all the wonderful memories you share. Keep a positive feeling in the room with her. My sisters did shifts to make sure someone was there, by my bed, all the time and i think it helps. No one can predict what will happen, but just be very optimistic, even if you have to reach deep. I love the idea of great music, sounds like a really good idea. The anchor from ABC News had a serious head injury, and was in coma for a few months. Now he’s back to reporting part-time. Doctors know what will happen, but there’s always hope! Dr. Jill Bolte had a massive stroke from an AVM and recovered over many yrs. Keep positive. Sending hope and strength to you all!

Hi Shelley, Just wondering how Sue is doing today? I hope and pray she gets through this. Prayer is an amazing thing. Take care!

My daughter is also in a coma from complications on embollization on the 7th of October. It is so important that we continue to keep positive and pray for our loved ones. The hardest thing is patience, but time is what we need to have them heal. I will pray for your friend. It has helped me alot to start a caring bridge site for my daughter. www.caringbridge.org/visit/kassieharms the positive notes that I get help me stay strong for my daughter. I also feel that this site will also help me. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sue is still in a coma. Hard to believe it has been 10 weeks already! Time sure does fly while waiting for someone to wake up!! This week they are going to put in a shunt to drain the excess fluid from the brain. Hopefully this will help. She has had a bit of breathing difficulties and temp. regulation issues on and off. Continue to pray for Sue and her family. She has a child with severe special needs who needs her mom! Thanks for all of your support. Shelley

Lana, You are so right. We must all stay positive because the brain is so complex and everybody’s situation is different. It is in God’s hands now and we just pray for healing. I will also pray for your daughter. I know from experience that the waiting is torture! I pray that she will wake up soon! I also look it the coma as a time for the brain to heal. Her husband has a site a caring bridge and it is wonderful. Thank you for telling me about it because I had not heard of it before. Luckily someone told him and it makes it much easier to share information with everyone.

Lana Bladow said:

My daughter is also in a coma from complications on embollization on the 7th of October. It is so important that we continue to keep positive and pray for our loved ones. The hardest thing is patience, but time is what we need to have them heal. I will pray for your friend. It has helped me alot to start a caring bridge site for my daughter. www.caringbridge.org/visit/kassieharms the positive notes that I get help me stay strong for my daughter. I also feel that this site will also help me. Thank you for sharing your story.

I will keep her in my prayers, if her husband does not mind you sharing the caring bridge site, I would love to be able to leave a message there also. Please have comfort in knowing that God is holding your friend in his arms and keeping her close to him. I will continue to pray for your friend and also thank you for praying for my daughter. Please stay strong for your friend and keep faith that God will be with you and the family during this time.

May God Bless you.

Lana
www.caringbridge.org/visit/kassieharms

I have bad news. Last night (11/11/09) Sue went into cardiac arrest and passed away. She never came out of the coma, but she tried so hard to open her eyes when I visited with her. My heart is broken. I want to thank all of you who responded to my posts, offered me encouragement, and kept Sue and her family in your prayers. This is a wonderful site and you are all such a comfort to those who need it. I know that Sue is in Heaven and definitely in God’s hands; however I am terribly worried about her daughter. She is 18 and severely disabled. Her mom was her rock, and I fear she will have a rough time with all of this. Please continue to keep Sue’s family in your prayers. Thank you all again. I will never forget the kindness you all have shown me. Bless you! Shelley

Shelley-

I’m so sorry to hear that Sue has passed on. It is such a tough thing to lose a close friend and after all of this time of hoping she would come out of the coma. I hope that everything will be ok with her daughter. I can’t imagine how devestating it will be for her. Hang in there and we will keep you and her family in our thoughts for sure.

Shalon