Starting to understand

Hi everyone!
I'm a new member here...

I got diagnosed with AVM this fall. After having really bad headaches for a long time, I decided to visit the doctor. She made the descision to send me on an x-ray and then they saw a 2cm AVM om my left side of the brain.
Now I'm waiting for the surgery....They are going to go between my brain hemispheres and remove it.
I'm just now starting to understand the magnitude of this surgery and it makes me quite scared.... What if I have problems with my speach? I love singing, that's a big part of my life and one of the things I work as. What if I'm not going to be able to sing??? Maybe that sounds strange to you, but it's very important to me!
Anyway, it feels good to have found this forum. To be able to read your stories. That helps me a lot!
I would be very happy if someone would like to tell me more about the surgery. How did you feel a few days after?
(Sorry if my english is poor!)

Have a really nice one!

Hi Hannah. No…it does not sound strange to me! You are not the first person to be worried about singing on here. Another member named Maria was very worried about her daughter who is an opera student…http://www.avmsurvivors.org/profile/Maria998
As far as I know…it turned out alright! Positive thoughts!

Welcome...it is normal to think this way but you must be POSITIVE at ALL TIMES! I never thought i would endure what i did at the young age of 30. I dont drink, do drugs etc and was very fit and healthy working out 3 days a week.

BUT the day comes when the AVM is found and you have to tackle it as best as you can and with family & friends support. I pray for you and everyone here that everything works out fine and keep us posted. God bless

Thank you! I really think everything's going to work out fine. I mean, what's the option? Lay down and give up? Not for me! :-)

I'm also lucky enough to get one of the best surgeons in Sweden....And he says that I can experience difficulties talking, but just for a few days. Since I've had a few smaller bleedings, I already have some problems sometimes with words. But never when I sing! Lucky me! The children in the scool I'm working in, notice it sometimes but not often.

It could most certainly be worse!

Thank you Barbara H!!

Hi! I'm sorry you discovered you're AVM but at least it was found before something awful happened. I don't think it sounds strange at all to worry about singing. It's very amazing and surprising to discover what you love the most when you're faced with the possibility or reality of losing it forever (of course, you already know you love singing).
I wouldn't worry too much about what "might" happen. You should just stay as positive as possible and be thankful that you are still here.
Besides look how many athletes "lose" their careers because of accidents and injuries. It doesn't stop them; ballet dancers become trainers, football players become coaches, musicians become teachers. I'm hoping the best for you:)

Thank you!

You're right. I'm going to stay positive!

Exactly...it could be worse so be positive as you sound here and keep strong. God bless im sure evrything will be just fine and its normal to be a little slow at times but slowly it will pass and you will be living life as normal.

Du får förresten fråga mig massor om operationen! Allt jag kan och vet.

Tack! Jag har faktiskt en fråga... Kanske är lite konstigt, men ändå!

När jag är nedsövd vet jag att jag kommer att ha en slang ner i halsen... Det är ju för andningens skull. Men kommer jag att ha en när jag vaknar?? Jag har sett på flera bilder att människor har en slang ner genom näsan. Är det för att de har haft svårt med att äta? Just nu är det det som känns läskigt... I morgon är det säkert något annat! ;-)

Tack, tack!

När jag vaknade hade jag ingen slang i halsen. Det enda jag hade var extra syre till näsan. Den "slangen" är bara några mm och gör det lättare att andas. Jag vet att jag hade lite ont i halsen efteråt pga den där slangen.
Jag fick inte äta innan och efter operationen. Jag tror jag fick dropp istället efter ett tag genom armen. Det har jag aldrig fått via näsan.
När ska du göra operationen och vet du var?
Jag ska till KS nästa månad för strålning.

Ja, den syreslangen känner jag till! Jag menade en annan slang, som går ner till magsäcken. Men antagligen är det om man inte alls är förmögen att göra något alls och jag räknar ju med att allt ska gå bra!

I höstas började jag få ordentlig huvudvärk. Inga värktabletter hjälpte och efter att ha varit sömnlös ganska många nätter, gick jag till läkaren. Jag fick röntgas två gånger den första gången sade de bara att de hade upptäckt en förändring. Så väntan på den andra röntgenundersökningen kändes lång. Jag var rädd för att det skulle vara en tumör. Efter några besök och en angiografi, konstaterades att det bästa alternativet för mig var operation. Jag har frågat om de andra tillvägagångsätten men de kommer med största sannolikhet inte hjälpa mig. Min AVM blöder lite ibland tyvärr! Inga stora blödningar, men nog för att de vill operera ganska snart ändå.
Min AVM sitter i min vänstra hjärnhalva. Så operationen kommer att gå till så att de gör ett ganska stort snitt över skallen och går in mellan hjärnhalvorna. Jag kan tänka mig att jag ligger på sjukhus en vecka och blir sjukskriven 4-5 månacder, om allt går som jag vill!
Jag ska göra min operation på KS, min kirurg heter Mikael Svensson. Han verkar bra. Han gick med på att vänta lite med operationen till efter sommaren. Jag sjunger mycket på min fritid och har en del spelningar i sommar. De vill jag absolut göra innan. Jag tror att det är viktigt för mig. Operationen kommer att bli i slutet av Augusti/början av september.

Hur kommer det sig att du ska på strålning?

Kram kram Hannah