Spouse just diagnosed - what's next?

@DickD Thank you so much I knew you would have it!
hugs Angela

Angiogram is the only real diagnostic imaging for AVM. I would have thought this would be your next step. The surgeons will need this imaging to ascertain moreprecise details. I am 54 with unruptured AVM in cerebellum. I was offered three options 1. do nothing, 2. Open head surgery and resection of AVM following embolization, 3. Gamm Knife. After discussions with two surgeosn I am confident to go with Gamma Knife. My view is that the slight increased risk is worth accepting for me. One of the surgeons did suggets as my AVM is grade 1-2 and 3cm that its a good idea to treat and to treat with GK. Open head surgery risky in my case as the location is tricky but not inoperable. In time you will realise that you have digested enough data to make a decision - you need to be happy with it:-) All the best!

1 Like

Hi J,
Thank goodness, for sure, that your wife does not have too many symptoms! You seem like a dear soul who is right by your wife’s side!! What I understand, some peoples who have an AVM does not have to do anything there whole life, but others, like me, had an AVM, found out about mine @ 1980 at 18 years old, & year by year, I got seizures more & more, year by year. In my opinion, if she has not have any seizures or really bad headaches, you may not need to worry. I would say, right now, do what you are doing & just keep an eye on any changes that could come about. God be with both of you two!!!
Elizabeth (Lisa) A. Stuckel