Spinal AVM - Pain-like pressure point?

My boyfriend was massaging my neck and back last night and I noticed when he would go near the avm in my spine, I would get a tingling sensation and it would radiate throughout my right arm and shoulder. I just started to have symptoms in my extremities, but it's been my left arm. Anyway...when he was done, I searched out the area where the pain/tingling was coming from and I immediately found it. I pressed on it, thinking my back needed loosened up...and wow, the pain and sensitivity in that area! It was something new to experience other than the usual pain/tingling/numbness...just wondering if it is at all possible to feel this in the avm area - I thought it was deep-seated?

Hi zilly,

I don't have a spinal avm but, I would think you would. You have improper blood supply to that area along with extra blood pressure in your avm. I think it's most likely it would have an effect in the surrounding area.

I'm a certified masseuse and in healthy people, a tingling sensation is an indication of a pinched nerve. Your guess is as good as mine as to what's causing it. It could be either one. In my semi-professional opinion that is. More "semi" than profesional.... (ha ha).

Ben

This morning I woke up and I had so much pain radiating from that area that I couldn't stand up straight or twist without a shooting pain that ran all the way up to my neck to my hip area. I couldn't lay on it, lay on my side, or my stomach. It's subsided a bit, but it hurt like a dickens. On the 18th of this month I am going to follow-up with my neurosurgeon and see exactly where it is and if there are more, since I have 2 conflicting reports. It's deep-seated in my cervical spine, I swear I can point out where it is just from the pain. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Hi Ben :) I've been told pinched nerve by some spinal avm's, alos. Can't wait to find out what is going on.

You can try rubbing eucalyptus oil on it and see if that helps. If you can't get it, Vick's Vapor Rub will work just as well. I use it quite a bit for my dystonia and my back pain. It's the menthol in it that does the trick.

Good luck with your drs. app't.,

Ben

Another thing you could try, if you can stand the smell, is Oil Of Cloves. The same stuff that people use for a toothache. It'll numb the area. I don't mind the smell myself but, I don't go out in public when I have it on either. :)