Son had a bleed

Hello haven’t been on much been a busy few months. Last thursday my son Zach got real sick on me with a sever headache took him into our primary and they gave him a shot for pain but it got worse so they said get him into the er I did at the er they did a ct and found a bleed a phone called was put into Stanford and from there they called the shots. Zach was airlifted to Stanford i got to go with him it was sooooo scarey. The Mri showed that his avm is more toward the center of his brain not a good place to have one and that he did have a small bleed. No surgery yet we come back in March for another MRI and follow up. We are staying in the Stanford guest house great place heading hm tomarrow night by amtrack. If anyone has had a AVM in the center of the brain or close to it plz tell me how yours was delt with ty

Sarah, You are very lucky that your Son is being watched by the docs at Stanford. If they are letting you go home today and asking that you bring him back in March for another MRI, to me that’s good news, as they are watching over his AVM. Have they mentioned any treatment yet? Stay stronge. You have the best doctors at Stanford and they will do what needs to be done.

They have talked about coiling it but that was before the mri and now that they found out where the AVM is at its in a bad area to be messing with so its a wait n see right now and Stanford is great. Stienburg is calling all the shots with my son now so what he says goes. I hope that they can go in and take care of this soon.

Louisa Cicillini said:

Sarah, You are very lucky that your Son is being watched by the docs at Stanford. If they are letting you go home today and asking that you bring him back in March for another MRI, to me that's good news, as they are watching over his AVM. Have they mentioned any treatment yet? Stay stronge. You have the best doctors at Stanford and they will do what needs to be done.

Is it on the Vein of Galen? It circles the middle of brain and goes down the spine right over where the CSF drains out.

Sarah,

So sorry to hear of Zach's bleed, but relieved he's in the hands of a GREAT dr!

Dr. Steinberg is also my NS and has done 3 of my 4 surgeries. I have multiple cavernous malformations (in same 'family' as AVM's) and my most recent surgery of 3/9/10 was in the R thalamus (near center of brain). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtkxDFICO0

Please keep us posted when able to.

Best wishes to you & Zach,

Patti

Sarah,   My avm is in the basal ganglia.  It bleed once, not ruptured.  It too was one of the worst migrains I ever had.  I had to rest and let the body heal.  Which was easy since I didn't want to do anything any way.    I had gamma knife for it.     I mentioned this on an other post but, I have good luck with ice-packs (for the migrains) when meds don't work.  One on the back of the neck and one on the forehead.   A nurse taught me this.   I'm not sure but, I think it slows down the blood flow and that's what reduces the pain.   For me, it doesn't take it completely away but, it does make it more tolerable.  It feels like just a normal head ache then.     Oh, and keep your head elevated too.