Son finally receiving treatment

After more than 4 months of looking around, Dr. Steinberg in Stanford is going to be doing 3 embolizations followed by a gamma knife surgery. They are expecting 5 days or so between each of the 4 procedures.

We leave for California next week and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with so many procedures in a short amount of time.

They also OK’d us for flying both ways, this seems risky to me and I’d be more than happy to drive or take a train. I know there are other discussions here on the flying thing but they never seem to end definitively. I’m sure the way there is alright but coming back after going through all that seems iffy.

Guess I’m just needing someone to say “it’s going to be alright,” as silly as that is.

So glad to hear someone has a plan for your son. I’m sure everything will turn out for you guys. And it’s far from silly to say “it’s going to be alright”, keep that positive attitude, many thoughts and prayers sent you guys way! Keep us informed.
Blessings!
Marie

It is going to be alright!! Stanford University in California - right? Dr. Steinberg did a procedure on me in February 1991. He is one of the doctors I credit with saving my life – your son is in good hands! We drove from Minnesota, but the car ride home was too much, my husband took me to the closest airport and we flew the rest of the way. They will help you at the airports – getting on/off planes, rides through the airport, etc.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!!

While I didn’t have the treatment your Son is going to have…I will pray that his AVM goes away forever! Keep the Faith!

Thanks a bunch guys, hearing anything at all really makes me feel better :slight_smile:

I tend to deal with stress by keeping everything to myself, and really have nobody to talk to about it anyway. Felix is tough and the bravest friend I’ve got, I know he’s going to do awesome.

He’s actually fairly excited about it: flying on a plane for the first time, going to California, and missing a month of school? Heck yeah! Hopefully some of that rubs off on me :slight_smile:

Hi Jonathon. I am a Flight Attendant with a major airline. At my company we have access to Medlink. We can talk to a doctor at anytime. We have medical oxygen, an enhanced medical kit plus defribilators on board. I am alive today because my bleed occurred on the plane. I was in the hospital within the Golden Hour.

Wow. Well, there you go. Talk about the perfect person to answer my question. Thank you.

Do the majority of the major airlines have access to Medlink?

They probably have something similar with all the airlines. The doctor at Stanford is a world renown surgeon who specializes in AVMs. If he says it is okay to fly…then I would go with his opinion. I hope your son enjoys his first flight!!

HI!
Well i had a craniotomy follow up by a couple of angiograms and MRI and Ct scans…Months later I had an embolization but not together…Be strong my friend everything will be okay…Have faith You and your son will be on my prayers>>> Good luck…God bless…