Quantcast

AVM Survivors Network

So you got a haircut..So what?

So I have a confession to make.

I don’t remember the last time I got my hair cut. No, don’t go giving me a nick name of Samson or anything like. I mean cut in a way that is substantially different than it was. I might have gone a little longer or a little spikey or something like that but it was never enough to really say, "Hey you got your hair cut!

I did today. Right now, the hair on top of my head is “barely there,” and the hair growing on my chin and jaw line is quite a bit longer than it is on top.

So why did I get my hair cut radically enough that it doesn’t look like me?

I’m not sure - but I think it might have something to do with these headaches, my voice, my hearing…….

Not from a “woe is me” standpoint, though there are times where that’s me, that’s you, that’s all of us. But no, I think it’s a quiet signal that I’m acknowledging that my world isn’t the same. I’m not the same guy I was 5 years ago. I’m not the same guy I was two years ago.

This AVM has changed me. A lot of it has been changes that have been “less than positive.” But there have been good changes too. My faith has been significantly stressed and stretched and I’ve found that my God is bigger than this. I’ve met some amazing people and some incredible organizations that are world changers.

I’ve learned that what’s important about a person is not what he/she does for a living. What’s important is that they do truly live.

I’ve learned that good can be just as important in the small things as it is the “big” things. But the big things attract more attention. And attention usually brings noise and noise can bring to an AVM’er headaches, blurry vision, exhaustion and a complete sense of being overwhelmed and out of control.

I’ve learned to value the little things even more than I used to.

So, I got my hair cut today. It might be just a haircut. Nothing more.

Or it might be an acknowledgement that things have changed.

But I am okay.

TJ

P.S. I am NOT sharing a picture.

2 Likes

Hear! Hear!