Share your glimmer of light!

Trying to forget 2020? Oh yes, same here. But DON’T forget that there were some good things that happened to us this year too! Let’s put our heads together and come up with a list of small but good things to make us smile as 2020 passes – thank goodness – into history.

What was your small but good thing this year? Do tell! It will do everyone good to see some points of light!

Sharon from Modsupport learned to make masks. (Who would have thought that would ever be a good thing?). Seenie got into sourdough bread baking, and she’s got the waistline to prove it. TJ made his sister very happy by doing some home improvements for her.

Share your little glimmer on a reply below.

From all of us, warm wishes to you and yours in the coming year and always.

6 Likes

Well, ummmm

I learned a completely different understanding of strength

The stories I have heard on here, the ICU & so on have completely reshaped the way I will think for the rest of my life

Sounds a tad cheesy to some - but, to me it brings a tear to my eye

Less than six months ago, I truly felt that nothing but a miracle would get me through - I made it through & currently physically feel better than I did this time last year.

About this time last year is when I starting pouring spinal fluid out of my nose while I was at the gym, living with regular headaches & my vision in my right eye just didn’t seem right

Happy New Year all! I truly feel blessed - for me, that’s A LOT to say

5 Likes

I think I can speak for all of us when I say this year has been pretty wild. Personally, my migraines have become more frequent this year. However, I have also found myself looking more towards the future and a full time career and buying a house this year.

So I think it’s important to remember, that even though AVMs cause a world of trouble and doctor appointments, it’s always important to keep hoping and dreaming. Though this is just a feeling to me, it still feels like a big win for me this year, and I’m happy I’ve finally entered a state of mind where I don’t feel like my AVM is holding me back.

8 Likes

2020 made me concentrate more on my Etsy store which sells cat and dog toys which I then donate half my proceeds to animal orgs. After my stroke when I regained my movement I decided to pick back up crocheting that my Italian grandmother had taught me and was just selling them at the shelter I was volunteering at but they would always sell out right away and someone suggested Etsy . It helps with my weak stroke side and is easier then knitting which I used to do before my stroke. Now we are expecting a new grandchild so I will be working on some baby items.

Happy New Year and to a Healthy 2021!

7 Likes

The strengths I never knew I had in me.

Nothing bothers or worries or disappoints me these days. It’s absolutely amazing

In a strange way, the avm and major health problems and also major life problems have made me think differently and obviously I wish I didn’t have them but they have changed me to be a happier better calmer person.

Taking my mum to visit my uncle in 2 days (he lives far away) who suffered a stroke yesterday. He’s not doing that well but I have been able to calm my mum and help her from what I’ve learnt

Oh and reconnected with some family members after a very long absence :slight_smile:

I’ve just learnt so much and I’m so much stronger in EVERY way

8 Likes

I found out after a wrist angiogram from Duke Medical that I’m officially AVM free. 2020 was a rough year for a lot of reasons but at least an AVM is not one of them, plus I got a new medical team @Duke! Happy 2021!

9 Likes

@randombeggar Congrats thats is wonderful news! That is one place we are considering moving. Stanford told us that I could only move there or near University Wisconsin and though its lovely there a bit too cold in the winter for this San Francisco native.

3 Likes

I’ve had an interesting year. I took a planned early retirement during the first set of lockdowns and I’ve settled into some sort of retired life, obviously none of the freedoms that I was looking forward to really, and no leaving celebration!

This autumn, I decided something was probably amiss with my prostate, so I went to get it checked out. That has been an interesting journey because I had to have a catheter fitted, then have a biopsy, then I’ve had trouble after the biopsy and I’ve had to have a catheter again. I’m now on meds and I have to self-catheterise for the next several months. I’m hoping that as the meds do their job, I’ll be able to ditch the catheters.

Two learnings…

1. Being able to pee is one of life’s real, real basics. Value it.

I can honestly tell you that when the catheter first went in, I was like a 90-year-old. OMG. This is not life!

The idea of escaping the f**** catheter by inserting one yourself a couple of times a day didn’t appeal any more than it being inserted by the rather stout male nurse who got the first one in. However, I can do it and they are honestly easy to do (and not uncomfortable). I don’t know how the nurse managed to make such a meal of it.

The @Spinal guys on here who have difficulty with peeing and pooing get my respect: life does seem like it is at an end. But once you get into the swing, life is much better.

1. We need to value the real, real basics of life. These appear to me to be health, good shelter, warmth, food on the table, people we love

and the ability to pee!

The year ahead is going to be tough to start with but I see better times ahead.

5 Likes

@DickD

Agreed! I had that for a only a week from kidney surgery. That was enough

Oh I won’t go into details here but when I had my kidney surgery many years ago there was a rather large dilemma with my catheter removal where it had kinked itself and tied a knot almost. Very very very long and painful removal process lol :frowning:

2 Likes

@DickD Oh I am sorry to hear about your prostrate my husband had to have the surgery a few years back and I was present for his biospies and for the removal of his catheter which involved a lot of blood which none of that stuff bothers me but does bother him. He takes Oxybutynin and he does have a small bladder which only seems to hold 6 oz before he feels like he has to go - so driving any distance causes him stress which then of course makes him think he has to pee.

1 Like

Chaps, this is supposed to focus on the glimmer of light…

The good stuff I get from this is that actually, in exactly the same way as going through waiting for my op in 2017, going through the coronavirus restrictions and (for some) real turmoil re income v outgoings, I find in each case that I’m able to look upon the stuff that really matters: love, food on the table, dry lodging and some warmth and say “these are the things that matter”

As we go through these straitened times, enjoy the basics because they are pretty good.

2 Likes

Prostate issues in my own opinion are just as bad as this AVM business - I was referred to a urologist post my embolization for not being able to empty my bladder

Since this board is pretty much tmi free - I had to be on a catheter for days prior & after my embolization

No one has a clue on what happened - but, ever since post hemorrhage - I don’t empty my bladder well

But, for the glimmer of light - I’m back to lifting the same weight I did prior to my bleed - if not more

Head feels fine -

Now for my knee - that at the moment isn’t so well either. I took up riding one of those insane scooters with my son. Hitting the ground at 220 pound sure feels hard - Lol

3 Likes

Happy belated New year everyone! :fireworks:

I’ve done a 360 spin in life and I must say that I’m so proud over myself for making all of this happen…

• I bought my first home which I LOVE!

• AND I finally (after many years of thinking that education isn’t worth it cause I thought I would die young anyway) started Uni. It’s truly the best I could’ve done while the situation in the world is as it is. And it’s not that bad at all! :relaxed:

• I’ve tried to find peace in being lonely (had to move to a new city hence University and everything is online due to covid) and mostly I’ve learned to enjoy my own company.

• I opened up my home to a rescue puppy for a month, it gave me so much joy and love! Now he’s adopted into a family with another dog and I’m so happy for him :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Much love to all of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Wish you the best this year and hope for a fast recovery! :dizzy:
I will value my peeing extra much today. :sweat_smile:

Lots of love!

2 Likes

This is the glimmer of light I like to share… :rofl:

Thank you! Lots of love to you, too!

Richard

4 Likes