Shall I give up on life?

Well folks I suffered from a bleed over 4 years ago and have had to have alot of rehab(physio etc to get me walking again) But before all of this happened to me I was a sport fanatic and loved all my sports. To which with it being over 4 years since my bleed shall I give up hope of ever playing sports again?xxx I mean I can walk again now but would really like to run again so im able to play sports again?xxx

Stay strong Jay...Yes, perhaps we have a difficult time doing what we used to be able to do...but better things are ahead! I truly believe that! Keep the Faith!

Absolutely not!! Never give up hope that you'll regain more function. Are you still doing any type of physical therapy now? If not, perhaps that's something you can look in to. It's been 3 1/2 years since my bleed. I used to run 3-4 miles a few times a week before. Now I have to walk. Running makes me too dizzy and I tend to fall (pretty hilarious actually!) I was never any good at playing any sports but I've always loved to watch. If you aren't able to get back to playing the sports that you love, look in to coaching. That's a great way to still enjoy the sport without actually playing. And you may really help some kids get better. Above all, don't give up. Keep trying, keep working on your strength. Who knows how far you can still come?

Hi Jay. I always have hope for the future. I believe that when one door closes another one opens. Of course...you just may have to body slam it open. LOL!

Well ive not seen the physio since I went on holiday back in May. The last time I had her I was having my indiuction at the gym, but without seeing this physio I dont want to go to the gym on my own as I dont no what im aloud to do?x

Don't give up pls!! We're here for you! And anything is possible!! You'll be in my prayers!!

Thank you Polka xxx

Talk to your consultant/doctor to see if you have any limitations! Have someone else there while you talk in case you miss something. Then if safe to do so go and see if there is a personal trainer at the gym. Or buy some exercise bands. You can work out from home with these things. Have someone go with you on your short walks. That way if you have a problem...they can help you!
I do not believe in giving up! But first talk to your doctor!

you're very welcome jay!!! stay strong!! i'm val btw. :)

Hi Jay - here's a poem that my mom initially gave to my dad a while ago, and they gave it to me after my bleed about 3.5 years ago. I found it to hit home when I really wanted to go back to being a ballroom dancing instructor...to find out it will be a much longer road. Hope this helps. I think it's safe to say that we've all been there.

Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the friends are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit…
Rest if you must, but don’t quit.

Life is weird with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow…
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than it seems
A faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor’s cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out-
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.

Jay,
You are definitely not alone here! Our community is here to help and support you. In the meantime, if you feel the need to talk to someone immediately, please call 1-800-273-TALK.
Please stay strong.
e

Thanks for posting that Julie. It's perfect!

Jay, I never, ever give up! My belief is that, "while there is life, there is hope". My problems after surgery are different that yours, however, I have come much further than the neuros & Dr's said I ever would. As others have said, talk to your physios etc to find out just what you are able to do and maybe learn other sports you can do in the meantime. I've never been very good at sports but now I find that swimming is really good for me & I now really enjoy it. Just "keep on, keeping on" and please keep in touch!

Please don't give up Jay --> keep fighting and you will persevere thru this!!!

Julie, what a GREAT poem - LOVE IT!!!

never give up the fight! My nurse told me her nephew had surgery for an AVM, years ago, went to college and became a cop! You just need to remember one powerful word: BELIEVE!

Hey, Jay!
No, don't give up! Always suffer onward. But, realize that there are other ways you can be involved as a sports enthusiast, too. Have you ever tried coaching? Sharing yourself with children is one of the greatest satisfctions you'll ever find. And, if you have a co-coach, you won't be responsible for demonstrating those difficult moves you can no longer muster. There's also writing. Maybe the local paper needs a volunteer for the sports round-up (weekly summary) article. Or you could work the scoreboard for the little league games. Or video games for the local cable channel. My point is that you don't have to be playing to be involved. Get that out of your mindset and let yourself enjoy sports again instead of mourning your losses over and over again.
Just trying to help, Janine

Nope. Just someone who's been through it, herself, in her own way. It helps to listen to those around you who've been through similiar situations, but you've also got to remember, "they're not you." You can only take so much advice and then, at some point, you need to feel it out for yourself. And don't be afraid to tell us all to, "Go to Hell," 'cause we've been in you're shoes and we'll forgive you.
BTW, I'm a writer, not a teacher. I write childern's books. And, someday, when I get one published, I'll tell you the name of it so you can go look it up at Borders or the library.
God bless everyone, Janine

Jay, my left leg is stupid, but my thera pist Promised me After the holidays, when I start back to physio in January he Will get me jogging on the treadmill!! He has insisted with my Willpower and his knowledge we Will achieve this! I am waiting so anxiously! Just wanted to tell you I found a little bit of hope. My bleed was 2+ years and I have a 10 year old son begging me to coach his soccer team! Hoping this helps!?

cheers for the response guys xxx