Seizures & Menstrual Cycle

My seizures seem to come on during my menstrual cycle. Has anyone else noticed this too? Could there be some kind of connection?

I'm sure the answer is yes, but beyond that, I ain't smart enough to know.

My wife's AVM showed up via gran mal seizure during the start of her period.

I'm sure other's smarter'n me will have a better answer.

Ron, KS

I personally can't comment on this but when I googled this question, the answer appeared to be YES. Great question and something you may want to talk to your gyno about too. In some of the articles I read, many people took extra seizure medication a few days before their cycle to counteract the hormones. Let us know what your Doc says, as many other women may have this issue as well. Thanks for bringing it up Zilly74.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if this were true. My sister went thru menopause a few years ago and suddenly started having migraine headaches every 28 days or so. Let us know what you find out!

The answer is in the hormones. I had my "big" seizure just after I had my youngest son 3 months after my craniotomy. The ER Dr.'s said it was "most likely" because of the change in hormones. We all know menstrual cycles are related to pregnancy :/derp:/ so I'm pretty positive it's the same for seizures and your cycle as it is for the change after having a baby.