Rupture after a gym session?

Hey all, I just wondered how many of you had a rupture after a gym session? Were you doing heavy lifting/cardio? Was it at the gym or hours after etc?

Mine happened while at home, fairly early in the day. I had been at the gym the previous day but nothing to link the two for me. John.

1 Like

I was being a 10 year old playing in my treehouse when I started getting a headache. Went inside told my parents then they gave me a Tylenol. Figured it was spring allergy because it was May. Sat down in a chair and got blurry vision in my right eye. Next the rupture. Remember going blind and then blacked out because the pain was so bad.

1 Like

My original headache started after lifting super heavy weights & lasted a few days so my doctor ordered a CTā€¦ from there the rest is history as they say & my AVM journey startedā€¦ since then back in 2010 I have not done any crazy heavy weights & it was discovered I did not have a bleed it was just strain from the workoutā€¦ unfortunately for me my AVM bled 1 month later while at home aloneā€¦ that was scary & very traumatic till this very dayā€¦ God bless!

1 Like

I lifted heavy weight for almost a decade. Deadlifting & squatting slightly over 450 Lbs. I never had an issue at all.

My rupture/hemorrhage happened after my first time in a sauna on vacation.

Since my embolization(almost ten months ago) I have been working my way back up - I am not looking to hit my max personal records. But, I am back to being able to lift & lift a lot - I deadlift 315 pounds in sets & ā€œalmostā€ pushed triple plates on a incline bench last week.

I do of course believe that high intensity, in the gym or elsewhere can be the final straw to cause a hemorrhage when you have a ā€œticking time bombā€ of a AVM

2 Likes

My AVM bled in 2013 after doing a spin class. I had a second bleed in 2018. Since then, I continue to excercise but I donā€™t get my heart rate up too high and I donā€™t left heavy weights.

1 Like

Was your AVM treated/removed - or?

No as there is no treatment that is feasible, Iā€™ve decided to continue living with it. If it bleeds a third time, I will probably have surgery to have it removed. My AVM is in the ventricle
so the bleeds did not cause long term damage.

I wish you good luck and Iā€™m happy to answer any questions.

2 Likes

Gotcha. . . Well, try your best to be safe.

Pushing ourselves to the limit isnā€™t always a good thing, thatā€™s for sure

My avm began ā€œleaking ā€œ early in a group low weight/high rep workout and had to be carried out by the emts, rushed to a hospital for an emergency resection of the avm that resided on my motor cortex leaving me paralyzed on the left

1 Like

Was it diagnosed/treated prior to this?

I am always very interesting in anything related to working out/fitness - and, try to apply it to my own case for safety

Hi. My AVM is unruptured and was ā€˜discoveredā€™ after I developed a related condition. Docs have advised me not to do heavy lifting or weights though. Iā€™ve always assumed this was to do with the increased body strain.

My AVM was discovered when it ruptured when I was out rowing in a rowing skull. I had a bit of a headache, some confusion but was able to row back to the dock. I was all scheduled to have gamma knife surgery after the stroke but the AVM miraculously spontaneously regressed on its own and the gamma knife surgery was called off. Now I am being monitored and been told not to let my heartrate get above 160 bpm and not to row, mainly because of the extra danger of being out on the water. I am 65 years old.

2 Likes

Amazing!

160bpm < Iā€™d die

Diagnoses was a long time ago. At 14 my AVM caused hydrocephalus. I found out AVM was the culprit about 15 years later. They told me to avoid weight-lifting or any strenuous exercise that could cause a rupture then. I have and so far it hasnā€™t ruptured. Its possible that advice has changed since then though or it might just be coincidence. I expect Iā€™ll never know.

1 Like

Youā€™re not the only one! I canā€™t imagine it ā€¦

Some of us fitness folk do get pretty intense. I was doing sets of leg presses with 540 pounds yesterday. To me - this is quite turned down from my prior to this 720.

Weā€™re all different - when I hit 120 bpm I feel like Iā€™m going to jump out of my skin

But, so far - so good. . . I monitor myself closely throughout the day - blood pressure is stable, even with me back to working in the sun + lifting almost daily(I miss 1-2 days per week, usually)

Sorry for the late response. We were monitoring my medium to large AVM. 3 MRIs a year apart showed no change so doc said resume normal activity and come back in a year. Didnā€™t make it. Mine ā€œleaked ā€œas it was surgeon said i was circling the drain. 55 when discovered by chance. Docs said said Iā€™d probably die with it. Almost died because of it