Remembrance Tattoo - View One

Chinese Cherry Blossom symbolism:
For the Chinese the cherry blossom is a very significant symbol of power.

Japanese Cherry Blossom symbolism:
The cherry blossom is a very delicate flower that blooms for a very short time. For the Japanese this represents the transience of life. This concept ties in very deeply with the fundamental teachings of Buddhism that state all life is suffering and transitory. The Japanese have long held strong to the Buddhist belief of the transitory nature of life and it is very noble to not get too attached to a particular outcome or not become emotional because it will all pass in time.

Very cool - quick question: I'm a tattoo virgin, did this hurt - is it on the foot? And do you watch them clean the needle or how do they clean the needle?

Yes, it hurts!! :) This is my 2nd tattoo...my first one can also be seen in the pics...so both are on my right foot. I have heard the foot is especially sensitive. I can tell you that the ankle and the back of the ankle hurts the most. My daughter got a very similar design, and she cried the entire time from the pain. I didn't shed a tear, but I wanted to. :) I did curse a little though, lol.

I cannot say enough how important it is to deal with a reputable tattoo company. The guy that did both of mine works for a very reputable shop in the area, and he also happens to be our neighbor, which is how I ended up with him. You should watch them remove the needles from the bag, and everything should be sterilized with an autoclave - my guy actually sterilizes everything three separate times in the autoclave. I would ask around for suggestions of where to go, and it can't hurt to check with the health dept. to be sure they haven't had any complaints.

I will give you one excellent piece of advice, the guy doing mine actually gave me while he was doing my 2nd one. He said that to look at the pain as something temporary, and that once you have experienced intense emotional pain, which I would venture to say all of us on here have, then its easier to deal with physical pain. Incredibly, his words did ease the pain when put into that perspective. Good luck if you decide to get one, and be sure to post a pic!

And please ignore those hairs the camera picked up so womderfully. I really do shave my legs - this must have been an off day. :)