Recovery from brain hemorrhage

My sister is 7 months into her recovery from an AVM brain hemorrhage. She is still not walking or talking. Anyone out there in this stage of recovery?

Not in the recovery, but best wishes to all of you. Celebrate all of the small steps in recovery.

Ron, KS

I’m in my 14 month of recovery. After my AVM embolization, I contracted a serious lung infection, deadly in 95-99% of all patients, but I’m still here. I was in a wheelchair for a while but I can now walk again, with the assistance of a cane, but alive! Patience and optimism are everything to beat this silent bastard, as I call it! Hang in there and you’ll see the difference every single day! NEVER GIVE UP (This is critical)!!!

Yes...... never give up !!

Nando Torres Antonioli said:

I'm in my 14 month of recovery. After my AVM embolization, I contracted a serious lung infection, deadly in 95-99% of all patients, but I'm still here. I was in a wheelchair for a while but I can now walk again, with the assistance of a cane, but alive! Patience and optimism are everything to beat this silent bastard, as I call it! Hang in there and you'll see the difference every single day! NEVER GIVE UP (This is critical)!!!!

At the age of 16, Nov. 2008..Brandon had a hemorrhage from an AVM. Senior at HS, collapsed on stage during theater...air lifted to Baylor-Dallas...coma 6 months...now in therapy...you can see pictures www.brainanurizm.ning.com

He is not walking, talking, nothing by mouth. How is your sisters therapy going?

tina maya said:

At the age of 16, Nov. 2008..Brandon had a hemorrhage from an AVM. Senior at HS, collapsed on stage during theater...air lifted to Baylor-Dallas...coma 6 months...now in therapy...you can see pictures www.brainanurizm.ning.com

He is not walking, talking, nothing by mouth. How is your sisters therapy going?

Brandon is going to be fine. I can see it in his eyes! He has the will to live and continue fighting this “silent bastard”, as I call it, more than all of us together!

Hay,
best wishes and my thoughts are with you all

Stay strong and take care
DM

Yes, celebrate all of the small steps and know that many blessings are to come for your sister :-))))

Keep the faith!
Michele

Thank you , Michele. It’s been slow but steady. The small steps feel huge. And I am very thankful for everyone of them.

Angel

My prayers are with your family. It’s tough not to ask why this happens but this site helps us all know we aren’t alone no matter how bad our bleeds have been or how tough the road of recovery. Stay strong (easier said than done). But you’ll all get through. When you do, you’ll be better people for it.

Thank you, Jessica. Such kind words. …

Hi Tina,
What great pics. Brandon is a very handsome boy. Michele is not getting therapy right now, outside of my mom, dad and I. Of course, we have learned a lot thru out this process but we haven’t been able to get Michele the therapy we know she needs. Michele is on Medicaid so want to think that may have a little to do with it. She is in a nursing facility and they stopped her therapy for quite some time now. We have not left Michele for a single day since her bleed. Someone is with her (even at the nursing facility) everyday. She does come home to my parents house at least once a week and usually for a few days. The problem we have had with Michele (and are so confused about) is her “lack of drive, initiative”. Michele is completely aware of her surroundings, she knows who everyone is, she can read and write but she lacks the drive to do things, like write. We’re about to try a new approach and back off the time spent with her because we feel she may becoming too dependent on us. She only does something if she “feels like it”. It’s made getting therapy tough. If she isn’t willing to participate, they won’t continue. Of course, we (my parents and I) can get her to do things but sometimes still “only if she feels like it”.

Is Brandon responsive all the time even though he is not speaking? Does he do his therapy, regardless of whether he feels like it? Michele will just shut down sometimes. Close her eyes, not be responsive.

I seen the pictures of some of Brandon’s therapy equipment and it so so awesome. I love it! I would definitely like to talk to you more.

Angel

tina maya said:

Nando,

Thank you. NEVER GIVE UP, sounds like good advise to me.

I'm in my 14 month of recovery. After my AVM embolization, I contracted a serious lung infection, deadly in 95-99% of all patients, but I'm still here. I was in a wheelchair for a while but I can now walk again, with the assistance of a cane, but alive! Patience and optimism are everything to beat this silent bastard, as I call it! Hang in there and you'll see the difference every single day! NEVER GIVE UP (This is critical)!!!!

Sounds like the plan. I won’t give up. I just need to convince Michele.

Dansky said:

Yes… never give up !!

I’m in my 14 month of recovery. After my AVM embolization, I contracted a serious lung infection, deadly in 95-99% of all patients, but I’m still here. I was in a wheelchair for a while but I can now walk again, with the assistance of a cane, but alive! Patience and optimism are everything to beat this silent bastard, as I call it! Hang in there and you’ll see the difference every single day! NEVER GIVE UP (This is critical)!!!

I so agree! Keep it up!

Brandon is going to be fine. I can see it in his eyes! He has the will to live and continue fighting this “silent bastard”, as I call it, more than all of us together!