Recovering from third Gamma Knife

Hi all,

I’m recovering from my third Gamma Knife surgery. I also have had two failed attempts at embolization, all in response to a 2006 brain bleed. A second bleed last year bluntly indicated that the AVM grew back, so here I am yet again.

It’s been two and a half weeks since the procedure, but the back of my head is so tingly. The screw holes are slowly healing, but my head is a delicate fish tank again. I’m just so exhausted, and on top of surgery I’ve been fighting infections since I left the hospital.

Just needed to rant to people who understand! :heart: Thanks everyone for listening!

From, Julia

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re on your third gamma knife, hope everyone goes well this time. I had gamma knife a week and half ago. I feel dead energy wise and dizzy since. The top left part of my head is tingly and numb still.

1 Like

Happy we’re able to be here for you! Don’t ever worry about expressing yourself here, while we are all different we have a lot in common, and I believe we do understand, or at least way better than most! I had gamma knife back in 2016, lucky only one time. Hopefully the healing goes smoother and the bumps are in the rearview. I hope the energy returns for both of you. Patience is so important. Take Care, John.

4 Likes

Thanks Matt! Sounds like we are in the same boat. I feel so exhausted both mentally and physically.

Were you treated at Toronto Western? I had Dr. Schwartz for Gamma Knife. It sounds like we just missed each other… of course Gamma Knife clinic always runs on Wednesdays.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, too!

1 Like

I had dr Schwartz as well. He didn’t say much only saw him in the morning of the operation.

Hope everything goes well for you.

2 Likes

Why don’t you just take the AVM out of your body? GK + Embolization clearly failed for you.

Radars…
When you have an AVM near the brain stem like I did you can’t just take it out. You’d end up dead or very seriously brain damaged.

Original poster:
I had GK twice and ended up with some deficits but I’m able to cope. It’s very difficult to hang on sometimes. We understand.

1 Like