Radiation Treatment

I had a angiogram on the 2nd of July and today my doctor said he thinks radiation treatment will work best, any thought on radiation? I have been given very little info about my AVM only that it is on the back right side of my brain. I was hoping they would just remove it and be done.

Misty, we have a radiosurgery subgroup -- just click on "Groups" at the top of the page to find it. You can read through past discussions and comments to learn more about members' experiences with radiation.

Note from @DickD:

Since this post was written, the site has changed and discussions about different types of radiotherapy can be found in the Symptoms and Treatment category.

Thank you so much.

I’ll be having radiation done too! From what my surgeons told me, its the fastest recovery time and is the safest way to perform the surgery. In this case, they won’t hit anything major that could affect your vision, memory etc. My AVM is on the left back side of my brain. Basically its the easiest, fastest and safest!

I would also like to know about radiation exposure. I’ve had 2 siblings die of cancer and my mom had breast cancer. Has anyone researched exposure to radiation? I know I’ve had a lot of x-rays and images in my life but radiosurgery seems to be a little higher exposure given it’s intentions.

@MissLisa just a caveat… this is a very old conversation. It is less likely you’ll get an answer from people in very old conversations because of the simple fact we all move on and (over something like 9 or 10 years) things like email addresses change or passwords get forgotten.

I don’t think there is any doubt that undergoing an angiogram or radiotherapy or a catheter embolisation procedure brings the risk of increased susceptibility to cancer. This is why doctors use other methods such as MRI more readily. But when it comes to problems such as a brain AVM poses, there is a balance to strike between a longer term cancer risk vs a shorter term stroke risk. Hobson’s choice, you might say.

It is always a balance of risk v benefit.

Welcome! And best wishes,

Richard

Thanks Richard. From what I read, most post their introduction and what happens but not much follow up after that.
I appreciate your response.
Miss Lisa

@MissLisa

Well, it is most helpful to others to share how you get on because it is by having successes (and challenges) documented here that we help future “generations”. And it is by having a bit of a conversation that I and others can help you.

We have times when it is quiet and times when it gets a bit busier. It is possible that it is quieter at the moment because a lot of people are enjoying a holiday or because they’re away from their computer on holiday.

In this case, you’ve chosen to answer a conversation from 9 years ago. I’d be amazed if anyone were to reply after 9 years. It happens but it is very rare.

I’m very present. Sometimes I think me being here too much also puts others off from answering. It is much, much better to have multiple voices here. However, if there’s anything bothering you, do share.

Very best wishes,

Richard